• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

A Long Wait but Worth it : J39.

Started by John Candy, Jun 07 2018 14:20

« previous - next »

cabbage

John,
The problem is not the rx-102 but the transmitter. It only operates on 4mW of power. Try to see if you can bind the rx-102 to a aeroplane style transmitter. I use the binding plug whilst Tim uses the automatic "first one found" system on the rx-102.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

Ralph,

I have just substituted a Planet T5 transmitter and receiver and will see what transpires in
the morning (assuming it is not raining).

The Planet instructions say that you should test it at 100 metres for full control functions before flying, so it should have no problems in the garden.

I will also do as you suggest, since I have TWO of the TX-21 / RX-102 combos and would like to see what can be done with them (no I didn't buy two....Richard gave me a second spare set).

Regards,
John.

P.S. Now about to take another dose of Paracetamol and go to bed........ have had a bad cold/flu and sore throat since Saturday.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

John, it's a little unfair to condemn the whole Deltang range as most suitable for small layouts, recognising my "Tx23H/Rx-102 long" system has shown no problems of range down Ralph's very long garden.
I do acknowledge though that the standard Tx seems to only have a range of about 10m/30'.
I still find the system great to use, and am expecting to use it on the 100' long Blackgang  layout at the GCR this weekend. I will report any issues with it!
Rgds, Tim

John Candy

Tested the Planet T5 setup in the J39.
Placed it on the rolling road and only lost the signal at around 100+ feet after going behind a large 600 gallon (steel) oil tank and brickwork There were two dense stands of conifers and other shrubs between me and the loco while it was still under control although out of line of sight the whole time.
The loco now stops when the signal is lost and I am much happier!

Will try Ralph's suggestion of binding the RX-102 to an ordinary aicraft type transmitter when I feel a bit better....time now to take more paracetamol/Lemsip! Not sure how to make the Deltang unit recognise the Radiolink TF8B transmitter so that needs some more research.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

I have just been researching the protocol used in the Deltang products to see which transmitters would be compatible with RX-102.

RX-102 uses protocol DSM2 which is (or rather was) a Spektrum standard protocol.
However, it is now illegal to produce new equipment for use in the EU (at least for aircraft control use) based on DSM2.
In consequence, Spektrum now uses DSMX to comply with EU law.

It seems that DSM2 relied upon hopping between just two transmission channels to retain control in the event of loss of contact and this was considered insufficiently "failsafe". The DSMX relies upon hopping between multiple transmission channels to avoid loss of control.

What all this means in terms of binding an aircraft type transmitter to the RX-102 is that only a secondhand or new "old stock" Spektrum can be used.

The prices being asked for Spektrum 6 models makes this an uneconomic solution.

Regards,
John.

John Candy

More r/c "glitches" today.

The sound system needed tuning so set about that.
As mentioned before, the Planet T5 had (so I thought) cured the runaway-at-switch-off problem.
All went well for the first 45 minutes or so, including periods  of up to 15 minutes when the loco was switched on (but stationary) and the transmitter off.
However, there was then a problem. The loco was stationary and the transmitter was switched off but after a short interval (perhaps 15 seconds or so) the loco suddenly took off at full speed in reverse!

I am now having doubts about the stability of the "Fosworks ESC1L", the only other explanation I can think of is interference from another 2.4GHz transmission in the area .... but the receiver is supposed to be "bound" to my transmitter.

Am now looking at prospect of dismantling loco again and replacing with a different type of ESC unless anyone has another suggestion/solution.

Regards,
John.