Author Topic: LNWR Picnic Saloon  (Read 514 times)

Offline MikeWilliams

LNWR Picnic Saloon
« on: Feb 05 2020 15:28 »
Picnic Saloons were fashionable in the 1890s and continued into the 1930s, so we have a kit planned using our existing LNWR 6-wheeled underframe.  I've been working on some of the interior details which might be quite visible through the large windows.  Here's the first resin cast for the ends of the saloon, with the door to the lavatory compartment.

and here's the real thing being restored.

Mike

Offline MikeWilliams

Re: LNWR Picnic Saloon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12 2020 20:35 »
Should have posted this before, but here's what the real seat ends look like.  I need to change the seat backs because although the carriage is Third class, the corner seats are the size of First class.  So I need to make the backs more padded and the squab longer to match the ends.

We'll get there.

(photo courtesy of Tony Lyster)

Mike

Offline Doddy

« Reply #2 on: Feb 13 2020 02:11 »
Nice seats Mike,
Is this a job that might suit 3D laser scanning rather than fabrication?
"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #3 on: Feb 13 2020 08:48 »
Possibly Doddy, I have little practical knowledge of it.  Apart from Modelu scanning people I've only seen somebody scanning a car which turned out to be a lot of work, huge amounts of time and no end result.  But I also know that technology is improving all the time.  Do you have experience of it?

Mike

Offline Doddy

« Reply #4 on: Feb 13 2020 21:08 »
Hello Mike,

Not enough to be directly helpful. I have a CAD drawing ready of a Y25 bogie which I am anticipating having 3D carved on a five axis CNC machine, and a basic (low resolution) 3D scan of a Whistler Locomotive.

The Whistler is reverse engineered and is passing through a three stage process to mesh the scan and then produce the .stl files which would enable printing.

I have a plan to put myself through formal equipment training with a major scanning company that has products which have been used on various ex-BR locomotives for producing model railway products and surveying London Transport traction equipment and buildings.

The long term plan is to hire a scanner and develop detailed mesh & .stl files for printing an accurate major outline diesel locomotive, rolling stock and buildings.

Unfortunately my Volvo just burst its oil seals between the crankcase and gearbox and needs some very expensive repairs, so the money set aside for the scanner course and hire fees has been diverted for this year.
Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #5 on: May 10 2020 11:56 »
I wasn't happy with the seats for this saloon carriage.  It is Third class, but the corner seats have the proportions of First class and just didn't sit right.  So, out with the saw, glue, filler and we have a new improved version.

The temptation is now to add the seat ends before making the mould, possibly back to back to give added depth and detail on both sides of the seat ends, but I don't want to risk mucking it up when it will be almost hidden inside the carriages and anyway, the clue is in the title - its a "kit".

I still have to make a long bench seat down both sides.  This uses the same ends but the back is higher than the bottom of the windows, being cut away around each of them.  Think I'll wait until the body etches are done and make that pattern to fit exactly.  And I also have a table to make - this is becoming more like dolls houses than model railways!

Mike