Author Topic: Point changing without being next to it.  (Read 123 times)

Offline Bruce_L

Point changing without being next to it.
« on: Mar 26 2020 19:27 »
I'm putting this up in case someone can solve my problem.
I'm not talking about electric or air remote operation.
What I want is to modify the 'standard' point changer as per picture here:

What I want to be able to do is retain operating the direction taken when coming from the single track BUT I also want to allow the weight of a loco to push through either way when coming from one of the double tracks, without having to operate anything. If the handle is vertical, this can be done, BUT the handle drops over so that the next train from the other direction will derail. Obviously this can't be done without some intervention, but as I only run one way most of the time I'm happy to switch from 'locked' or 'loose' for a whole session (without dissembling the control every time).
So - does anyone know how to alter the mechanics so that nothing needs to be done when approaching from the double tracks, but can 'lock' the point when approaching from the single track?
Bruce

Offline John Candy

Re: Point changing without being next to it.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26 2020 19:55 »

Adjust spring tension to suit and reverse orientation to provide "pull" instead of "push"
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: Mar 27 2020 09:48 »
If you want option to override preset bias......

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline Bruce_L

« Reply #3 on: Mar 27 2020 11:11 »
Thanks for this. Makes more sense than the first diagram. I'll give it a go. Thanks again for your trouble.
Bruce