• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Gone 'n' dunnit!

Started by John Candy, Feb 18 2021 10:45

« previous - next »

cabbage

It sounds like the .scad for this is one huge program? Personally I would have done this in three pieces and assembled them into a single module.

To me this breaks down as:

The upper door frame made from cubes.
The lower door frame (tumble home) printed as a section of a cylinder printed vertically.
The frippery which are simple half cylinders.

When I started in 1973 the O/S was UNIX sys III on an HP computer the size of my freezer it had 64k of ring core memory. Nowadays my humble machine has 12Gb and 16 processors.

I agree with you about the profit motivation, but that has never driven me. I do have to design some Greasly articulateds for my EE-1 to pull. So I will probably donate the .scad files for them to the G3 WIKI.

Regards

Ralph

John Candy

Ralph,

I will email the file for the guard's door for you to see what I have done.

One aspect of OpenSCAD I have not yet had time to investigate is how to (if it is possible) import a file into another. By that I mean, having separate modules (as you mention) and then grouping them in a single file ..... It sounds as though that may be possible from what you have said? A bit like calling a sub-routine into a main program.

Regards,
John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

cabbage

John,
You should be looking at CURA to collect your modules in a print.

Regards

Ralph