• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

LNWR 50ft non-corridor coach kits?

Started by MikeWilliams, Dec 06 2021 22:32

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

Williams Models have a range of kits for LNWR 6-wheeled carriages. They are detailed and very complete, priced at £425 each. Prompted by John Candy we are considering a one-off batch of cheaper and more simple LNWR bogie carriages. These would be sides and ends only, etched in single thickness 28thou brass. All the fittings (lamp tops, door handles etc) from our 6-wheeled carriages would suit but the builder would be left to provide his own underframe, probably from solid brass sections. Some bogie parts are already available. The carriages would be:

50ft arc roof non-corridor 8-compartment Third, 7-compartment Composite and Motor/Driver Composite.  This photo shows a train of them on the NLR.  Note - no plans for the brake ends yet!

Please let me know if you might be interested and in which coaches. Timescale would be around 6 months and the price about £100 each. But if there is not enough interest we won't do them at all.

Mike

John Candy

I would just add to what Mike has written, that examples of these coaches were still in revenue service with BR until the mid-1950's.
As an example, there is a photo of one of the composites at Birmingham New Street in 1954, in a train where the other stock is LMS/Stanier types!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.