• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Shuttle control unit

Started by hornbeam, Nov 23 2014 19:16

« previous - next »

hornbeam

I'm wanting to control a battery railbus on my branch line so it will shuttle back and forth, it will need to be battery powered as I'm not having track power on my layout. I was going to use the brian Jones unit but he's unable to deliver until mid feb. Are there any other manufactures that would make something suitable?

Thanks.

John Candy

http://www.timpdon.co.uk/timpdon/telec/products/prod_sh3.php

Not certain this works with battery power but the photo shows a cell pack on a motor bogie.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Doddy

The technical notes (.pdf) shows that a battery voltage of between 4.8 to 12 V d.c. - 2.5 Amps constant current is required.

http://www.timpdon.co.uk/timpdon/telec/products/prod_sh3_pdf.htm?x=46&y=14

The unit supports the following features.

Unlimited number of intermediate halts, in either direction.
Independently user programmable for maximum speed, crawl speed,
acceleration period, deceleration period, terminus wait time and
intermediate halt wait time.
All programmed parameters are retained when power is removed from the unit.

hornbeam

Perfect, thanks for the help looks ideal.

The Timpdon stuff is good, my shuttle unit is used on the 45mm section of the garden railway but only end to end with no intermediate stops, cos I don't need any. I use it with LGB stock albeit at a reduced voltage to be in spec.

Good luck

Dave

AllWight

Is'nt that being lazy. Takes out all the fun of operating unless its so you can pour a beer at the same time in which case I heartily approve.

Mark

Mark,
On my garden that is exactly what happens. However, the rack line is a shuttle & it is basically switch on & forget while the other trains are being controlled. I have never developed a multi-tasking co-ordinated method yet of individual control of more than one train at a time without a subsequent undesirable happening to occur.
Perhaps Anne might agree with this as she always states that the female of the species is an ace at multi-tasking. However, I am not prepared to argue with her. So I am left to play trains alone.

Dave

AllWight

Spoken like a true beer drinking DIY fanatic

Mark

hornbeam

Hi mark, well the branch railcar will be operating for that reason- to sit with a cider or three.

I will also be constructing wagons to carry cans from the house to the decking at somepoint- all my friends have requested this who am I to argue.

AllWight

Will there be a BBQ halt serving hot dogs and burgers too??

Mark,

The Timpdon shuttle will only stop if there is a magnet placed correctly in the track  8)

Dave

hornbeam

We'll looks like I need to get the basic layout built and do a get together soon  ;)