• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

BR Diesel Class 44/45/46 Loco Design Co.

Started by 454, Aug 27 2013 18:52

« previous - next »

Here is a closer view of the front end. Warts & all, remember this is work in progress.
Showing some basswood embellishments. Why use castings & resin mouldings? Give me a good reason & I might make the effort.

Dave

Oh & by the way, if anybody makes the comment that the springs are from an LNER steam loco tender & that the buffers are BR(E) ex LNER they would be correct in thinking that.

My impulsive reaction might be to throw my Derby works plate in the scrap bin to be recycled by another modeller. Then I will re-order them with Doncaster cast on them instead of Derby. Everyone knows they were never made at Dony. But there again having said that "Kinder Scout" never existed on a Peak diesel. Nor did the number 44000.

The livery will be another anomaly, but even I have not yet decided which way to go on final paint job.

I am open to ideas......

Dave

AllWight

I look forward to it appearing on blackgang. Although it might be too big for the station sector plate

AllWight

That's ok we have methods of accommodating the big engines

Mark

This week with a few fine windows in the weather gave a few opportunities to do a bit of track testing after the Biggleswade show. The Peak's first layout visit was to Chalfont & it was the length of the fiddle yard & also it just fitted into the platform. So far so good. As expected it did not manage to negotiate it's path into the sidings.

However, after adjustments with side play on all driving axles, still have some work to do on the idler pony truck suspension though, we now have a loco which is able to trot around my home circuit of 24 feet diameter at a good speed & not derail. The attached video is for your amusement. Just managed to get this photo opportunity in this morning before the drizzle started up again, yuck.

http://youtu.be/PLB6Rh8ZMWg

This run is with a freshly charged set of 14.4 volt NiMH AA cells. The motors are 12 volt. There are 6 of them one on  each of the driving axles.

For those of you who are able to hear. The noise is from the track & wheels, the loco itself is very quiet & just gives a high pitched whine from the ESC when being controlled. There is also a click from the relay when it reverses.

I feel now that it is a "runner" makes me want to endeavour to press on & make it less ugly & more presentable to the GTG scene.

Cheers
Dave

AllWight

Its a lively engine. It will need a decent train weight to hold it back.

Mark

Mark,
Currently waiting for some settled fine weather so I can mobilise my fleet of a couple of dozen goods trucks to hang behind it. It is either that or put a dish of Anne's best rice pudding on the track with a miniature grappling hook to see if it can pull the skin off the pudding.

Also need dry track, the loco slips like crazy when the track is wet or greasy. It is definitely a fine weather loco.

Dave

Geoff Nicholls

I think  I remember seeing class 45s climbing the curve from the main line at Loughborough on to the old Great Central line, in the late 1970s. So if you're taking it to the GCRS AGM and running on Blackgang there, it would quite appropriate.
As a GCRS member  I suppose it is my duty to remind everyone that they still need cash for 'Bridge to the Future' to unite the two sections of the old GCR.
Geoff.

Very impressed with the You-Tube running trials. Would be great to see it on my S.Ext.R line which has a minimum radius of 16ft.

Robert. 492.

Geoff,

All being well Class 44 Kinder Scout in either D0 or 44000 guise will be running on Blackgang subject to being capable of negotiating the curve along the viaduct. Failing that we know it is capable of working it's way from the fiddle yard to Chale Golf links Halt ( alias Chalfont). The big difficulty I will have though is explaining how it managed to get onto the I.O.W. not too sure that low loaders long enough to take a Peak are capable of being loaded onto an Isle of Wight ferry.
I'm sure some knowledgable ferry expert will chirp up & clarify.

Robert

I simply cannot wait to see it perform on larger radii circuits. My biggest concern is the uncertainty of treading lightly around 8 feet radius points. Each bogie I tested on an 8 feet point & it worked just fine but the combination of bogies on the chassis is so far an unknown quantity on such tight curves.

Dave

Lastest progress report is that Kinder Scout the Peak diesel is near to completion.

The picture attached shows progress.

A bit more detailing to add, side grills & body framing, decals, cab glazing & cab interior.
Lower body stripe needed.
Headcode discs & LED lights.

Performance will be the subject of a future report after it has been able to stretch it's legs on long straights at first GTG of the season. Currently it has been confined to the 12 feet radius "circle line".

:)

Dave

AllWight

Hi Dave

The paint finish looks great. Have you sprayed or brush painted it. Do you intend to paint the small yellow warning panel at each end or is it all over green.

Look forward to seeing it performing at GTG's and exhibitions.

Mark

Mark,

No yellow warning panels yet. perhaps later. But having said that early pictures indicate that yellow warning panels came a bit later on.

I need to get the head code discs & LED's working on the cab ends before I consider any other colour scheme.

Spray paint from Tamiya (racing green) & Tamiya (light royal grey).

Bogies satin black from Wilkinsons.

Cheers
Dave

AllWight

Well the model looks great Dave

Mark