• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Quaity of R/C control packaging

Started by MikeWilliams, Mar 31 2014 17:48

« previous - next »

Andy B

I've just noticed something else that may be of interest too.
Dave commented on the range limitations of the standard Tx2 transmitter module, and his reversion back to his Spectrum joystick type controller for larger outdoor lines.
DT also make a CB2 Tranmitter Controller - "CB2 can be used to upgrade any of the Tx2x model train controllers to higher power. Simply replace the Tx2 with a CB2 and connect to a Spektrum or Orange RF module."
The OrangeRF module can be had for £20-£35 online.

These appear to be used in model aircraft and helicopters - so this could provide a good solution for anyone wanting longer range whilst retaining rotary controls instead of joysticks.
Will clearly need a slightly bigger case than the standard Tx20 or Tx21.

Andy

Andy

Range

The little TX21 is great when used in "walk around" mode, but you would lose control in "sitting in deckchair with cold beer" mode. I use TX21 with good functionality when operating on Blackgang, because one would tend to walk with the train. Also in my small garden it is excellent The Circle Line is 24 feet diameter so the trains never go out of range, but it is not good where there are garden buildings, intra-garden fencing & trellis work, Big trees, hedges, bushes etc. This is where the "helicopter Spektrum type" smashes through the range barrier, it will operate beautifully in sitting in deck chair with cold beer mode or even in the warmth & comfort of one's sitting room while the trains are being lashed by cold winter winds outdoors, that I call "anti-shiver" mode.

Inertia.

When operating locos in close quarters, short sidings, loco release headhunts, setting back to couple onto a train the inertia control is best left OFF. It is great when a controlled start is required to a set top speed. It works well vice versa when one needs to slow to a required lower speed. But it is one frustrating challenge to nudge the buffers gently when buffering up onto a waiting consist.

I have both types & operate appropriately as binding is really easy, especially if capability of ease of access is built into the loco to use the binding loop.

The big advantage of TX21 to myself is that it fits in one's pocket & for Kinder Scout it tends to be stowed under a roof hatch when not in use. The Spektrum on the other hand has a vulnerable aerial, lots of switches & is difficult to pack away when one is not using the original packaging.

My recommendation is to invest in both types.

Dave

MikeWilliams

Andy,

Yes, I guess better quality components might help.  Something not quite so floppy, but also I suppose, thinking about this again, maybe it is the principle of controlling a steam engine which is worked with wheels and levers, by using push buttons which seems out of keeping.

Mike

Andy B

Update -
Well, I can only say that the service from David at Deltang is superb - prompt response to emails, and my order was dispatched only a few hours after placing it and arrived next day.

I have nearly completed a Tx20 transmitter kit - a nice simple controller that my daughter will be able to use.
I then have parts for a custom-designed Tx22 which will attempt to provide the qualities that Mike identified, combined with the extra power needed for large gardens / metal bodied locos.
Happy to show/discuss with anyone interested at the AGM.

Andy