• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

"Sentinel" 0-4-0 VBT loco.

Started by John Candy, Oct 06 2014 12:55

« previous - next »

IanT

Yes, it wouldn't be too obvious that they were both actually to the same scale John.

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

The first completed Sentinel ("Arthur" for Ian T) will be at Warley on Mike's (Williams Models) stand (stand C09), so if you are there, make sure you see "Arthur" in the flesh, so to speak.

I took the model to Ted Sadler this afternoon (he will be delivering it to Mike at Warley) and Ted will also be one of the team tending the G3 Society stand.

While at Ted's, he took took a few photos and one is attached....I have to say, his track ballasting does look good.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

David S

That looks fantastic John :)

John Candy

Below is download link to short video clip of "Plantagenet" (32MB AVI file)

http://lakes-pages.com/wpimages/DSCN0585.AVI
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

A most attractive locomotive, especially in this dark green livery.

Robert. 492.

Peaky 556

Very nicely detailed John.  May I ask how you have produced the side grilles?
I have previously thought the prototype to be an ugly duckling, but you and the production team have 'almost' transformed it into that graceful swan!
;D Tim

John Candy

Thank you Tim for your comments.
The main body comprises just 6 large resin castings (plus the grille inserts), with etched and cast brass detailing (whistle, steps, hatch latches, lamp irons, buffers).

The grille is a cast resin insert (I chose to make it separate from the cab side since there were two different patterns fitted over the lifetime of the production run and I wanted to keep open the option of offering the alternative).

The grille pattern was produced using "doctored" Cambrian Models mouldings parts (sample shown below of what you get.... each individual "fin" is a separate item to be cut from sprue and placed) grafted onto the Sentinel vent panel made of plastic card and rivets. Silicone rubber mould then produced.

Regards,
John.

Geoff Nicholls

Cambrian models produce some useful bits. I tried to pursuade them to get involved in G3, but they prefer to stick to 4mil.
The sentinel looks very nice the track is already laid at Lea siding ready for mine. Seeing the video made me wonder what the real thing sounds like. Does anyone know of any videos of the one at Tanfield?
Geoff.

John Candy

Geoff,

I also wondered about the sound.

In fact I did ask in this forum some months back but got no reply.

I imagine, they could sound a bit like a traction engine ; a very fast exhaust beat relative to the speed but I really have no idea.

John.

Geoff Nicholls

We'll have to ask John Taylor at the G3 AGM. I think he's been to Tanfield.
Geoff.

blagdon

Here is a YouTube clip of Sentinel 6515 a 1927 Centre Engine type; note the predominant noise is the 'chain rattle'. I will search for some clips of your post-war type.

https://youtu.be/zgWkrlrX9YQ

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

IanT

Probably that's a good assumption about the noise Ian but the (YouTube) poster is of course incorrect to call that engine a Sentinel 4wVBT - it's more like a Y1.

I've got a quite few photos of the GNR 6 wheeler it's pulling somewhere, taken a few years ago now. A very nice restoration job. There's a good view of the roof at one point in this video too, always something that's usually difficult to find photos of.

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

David S

Just wondering if there is any more progress with this model? :)

MikeWilliams

Funny you should say that ... I've just finished casting my first set of resin parts for it and also drawn out the frames this morning for laser cutting.  So, after a far-too-long delay I've now got my backside into gear and hope to get a test one assembled in the next few months.  I know that John has test assembled it, but I need to do one myself.

A member on here is also getting a set to play with, so between us something should start to happen.

Mike

John Candy

Where are all the folks who, a few years ago, were asking me when the Sentinel loco would be available to buy?

Well, there are now three RTR models up for grabs (there were four but one has already been snapped up).
These are a LIMITED EDITION model (there will likely be no more) meaning that, including the two prototypes "Plantagenet" and "Arthur", there will be only SIX in existence.

They will surely become sought after in the future?

At only 660GBP each (600GBP to members of The Gauge 3 Society) plus shipping costs, these have to be a bargain loco, whether for a beginner in G3 or someone with an established line, looking for an unusual additional loco.

Supplied complete with radio control, you would be hard put to find another battery-powered loco at such a bargain price.

Think about it for too long and you will have missed out!

Short video clip of Plantagenet  http://lakes-pages.com/wpimages/DSCN0585.AVI

For more details on purchasing go to https://www.gauge3.org.uk/news

John Candy