• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

ESU LokProgrammer

Started by Brian_Torr, Aug 14 2021 10:23

« previous - next »

Brian_Torr

I've bought an ESU LokSound 5 sound card and ESU LokProgrammer as I understand these are used by ALD models to set up the sound on the new Class 25 RTR models. I'm setting up my own R/C and sound on my 25 as I want to use my Revolution system. However, after reading the manual for the ESU equipment, I see there is no reference to anything other than track powered models! So the initial questions I have are (1) what voltage should I fire up the ESU LokProgrammer with - would 24v DC be ok? and the (2) should the terminals that ESU say go to the test track be instead applied directly to the +ve and -ve on the engine's motor whilst the loco is mounted on a rolling road?

John Candy

Hello Brian,

I don't have any knowledge of the Loksound system nor do I know whether anyone here has any Loksound experience but there is a forum at

https://groups.io/g/jmriusers/topic/loksound_forum/34374869?20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,34374869

which may be of help.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Doddy

Quote from: Brian_Torr on Aug 14 2021 10:23I'm setting up my own R/C and sound on my 25 as I want to use my Revolution system.

Normally the Loksound units work on the power supplied by the DCC feed, however DC analogue can be used but with many limitations, power is still applied via the wheel sets and wired as such, but obviously the decoder needs a few volts before the decoder activates and sound is produced. DCC voltage is normally a maximum of 14 to 16Vac for OO gauge models and 22 - 24vac for G scale models, although obviously DC analogue power would be similar in its maximum range. NB: If the Loksound has not been provided pre-configured by ALD Models then you have the additional task of programming CV's to activate DC mode.

The decoder itself will start to operate between 4 and 6 volts before it produces sound. Will it run through the startup procedure and shutdown? Without getting my hand on one, I have seen nothing to that effect from any videos I have watched. I'm still looking for information on the matter!

Anyway, in your case, you already have a solution ready-made for you with the Revolution DCC Receiver https://www.revoelectronics.com/product/revolution-dcc/dcc-rx.html

NB: You will need to make sure you have the appropriate level of firmware/software in your Revolution transmitter.

I would have been able to help you in a past life, but I have not seen sufficient sales figures to warrant any further development of a Revolution compatible Class 25 sound system.

best regards

Robert
"You don't know what you don't know"

keith Bristol

Brian,

Dcc and the 25 is straightforward but not easy. It sets up the same way as I set up my DMU and 08. You don't need track power.
I'm away on holiday... can help next week
Keith

Brian_Torr

Thanks Robert & Keith. Hope you have a great holiday Keith and yes I would value your help on this as I suspect you'll be doing or have done similar. I thought I was taking a sensible approach keeping my Revo and adding ESU sound, but now I'm thinking I may have over complicated things somewhat.

keith Bristol

Brian..

You haven't over complicated it's just getting head around how it works without a programming track.
I'll message you

Doddy

How did this work out for you?

Can either of you enlighten the rest of us?.

Drawings recently obtained for JNR vehicles include a DD13 B-B diesel shunter, for which DeskTopSound has a Loksound DCC decoder file with original locomotive sounds loaded on it. However, the decoders are almost £200 each and only deliver 3 Amps continuous use. (other sources say 5 Amps)

Q: Given Tims HP6 motors are rated at up to 2 Amps each, how do ALD Models get away with using Loksound XL decoders with Apple Tree 4 and 6 motor locomotives?

Q: Are the Apple Tree motors wired in Series or Parallel?

Q: Is this because the ALD supplied decoders are set up for operating on DC track (in our case powered by a battery) and therefore the power is fed directly to the motors and the decoder whilst the decoder only provides sounds?

Q: Do either of you have a copy of the wiring plans?

Many thanks in advance

Robert

AshleyW

i'd suggest asking that question to fosworks.i know of some class 25's that suddenly stopped and reversed at high speed, wether that was the decoder, i'm not sure, but i know something had to be changed.

Doddy

The Fosworks linkage is a bit of a red herring for these questions, but thanks anyway. It is nice to know any bugs have been designed out. Was this a faulty component or a CV setting?

A1: In the first case, the ALD Class 25 uses four of Tim's ATR LP motors which are rated at up to 300 ma each and therefore four (or six motors) is within the capability of the Loksound XL decoders continuous current draw. NB: Since the decoder is fed by a Fosworks Receiver, the entire current draw of the decoder plus motors appears to be within the current draw of the Receiver.

A2: From reports I have received, the motors appear to have been wired in parallel.

A3: Not relevant.

A.T.B.

Robert