• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Ballast

Started by keith Bristol, Mar 20 2009 13:33

« previous - next »

John Candy

Ian,

Looks to be a reasonably-priced solution......what sort of volume is a 25Kg bag?

Took a quick look at the website but could not see the delivery charge but probably quite high, bearing in mind weight.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

I'm not sure about the volume John - an awful lot in terms of using it for 'cosmetic' purposes (which is what I've used it for on my early modules & trackwork).

The website does allow you to "estimate" shipping and for one 25kg bag the total cost is estimated at £15.32 currently (shipped to my postcode - that's £2.49 materials, £10.20 shipping plus VAT). The cost of four bags would be £48.91 (£9.96 materials + £30.80 shipping plus VAT).

So the shipping cost is potentially the major cost element. I think the best thing would be to try to find a local source of "2.5mm Cornish Grit" (Garden Centres?) if possible and go collect it. Even if they don't stock it, they might be willing to get an 'order' in for you?

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Or,

Bournemouth is a nice place for a short break and you'd get lots of brownie points from Carol.  And after your previous post about her bridge testing, I think you need all the brownie points you can get!

Mike

John Candy

Ian,

Thank you for info.
Approx. 40GBP actually doesn't sound too bad for 100kg. which should go along way.

Mike,

I have to visit my cousin in Parkstone (near Poole) sometime later in the year, so perhaps Bournemouth could be fitted in.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Jim_H

I pay £2.00 (plus Vat) for 25kg bag of "Grano Dust" from my local builders yard. It is of course small grey granite  chips from dust to a max.of about 4mm. The bulk seems to be about 2 to 3 mm. Wash it first, then lay.
25kg is about the physical size as a modern bag of cement, i.e.much smaller than the old traditional bags.
Regards, Jim H.