• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

G3 Made Simple Competition.

Started by John Candy, Nov 07 2011 17:20

« previous - next »

John Candy

G3 Made Simple Competition.

It has been some while since there was last any mention of this competition.
The previous thread of messages ended with some "friction", which arose out of the entry conditions being disliked by some potential participants (see http://lakes-pages.com/gauge3.co.uk/G3Forum/index.php?topic=598.0).

It is not clear to me whether or not there is any interest in proceeding with this competition (or put another way, whether anyone is actually preparing to submit an entry).

Unfortunately, I don't think there has been any mention of it in the G3S Newsletter as yet (probably my fault for failing to provide details to the Editor) which means that many G3S members will not be aware of the project.

Under the circumstances, I propose the following course of action:-

1) To postpone the "closing date" for entries to April 30th 2012.
2) To ask that all and any "entrants" register by December 31st 2011.
3) To prepare a revised set of entry conditions which will be posted here shortly.

John Candy
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Having put forward the revised proposals for this competition to the G3 Society (which is willing to assist to a limited extent, since this is a privately funded initiative), it has been suggested that there may be very little interest among members of this forum (and of the G3S) in participating.

In order to avoid wasting time setting up a competition which is a "non-event", it would be helpful if forum members would indicate, by way of a poll, whether or not they would participate.

The rules of entry are currently under revision but, the basic idea is that a scratch-built locomotive be produced for no more than 200GBP and the build be fully documented.

The poll is above, so please vote.

Thank you,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

I see you have the final rules and details up on the Forum now.  Well done John, and well done to the committee for your courage in supporting this initiative.

It may be that nobody enters, or,  it may also be a great way to publicise the scale and attract new people.

Mike

Link to announcement ---- http://lakes-pages.com/gauge3.co.uk/G3Forum/index.php?topic=693.msg3647;topicseen#msg3647

MikeWilliams

A further thought - what about notifying the popular magazines of the competition?  If they publish it the notification itself will generate publicity, and any entrants via that route would be a bonus.

Mike

John Candy

Mike,

A good suggestion : Would the Chairman of The Gauge 3 Society care (or appoint someone) to liaise with the appropriate publications?
I have my hands rather full at the moment with several projects.

Regards,
John.

IanT

Good idea John,

I'm afraid I am also pretty busy at the moment and unable to take on any more projects at the moment.

More than happy to support a volunteer in this effort though. Any takers?

Regards,

IanT

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Below is photo of the actual wagon which will be the First Prize in the competition (there is a slight "fish-eye" effect from the lens...the model is not curved!).
The design is pure GNR as built in 1909 for the Cheshire Lines Committee (jointly owned, in equal shares, by the GNR, Midland Railway and Great Central Railway).

It is ready to enter the paintshop when the weather warms up a little.....it is 2.1 degrees Centigrade in the garage this morning!

The second and third photos are of "one I made earlier" (in fact about six months ago for Mike Williams) to show the colour scheme and detail.

Construction took approximately 10 hours, the components being as follows.

Body and solebars are cast resin, the roof rolled aluminium with Williams Models torpedo vents, the floor of 100thou. plastic card.
The body corners (the body is cast in four parts) are internally reinforced with "Plastruct" angle and Araldite.
Running gear : Home cast whitemetal CLC-lettered (GNR oil pattern) axleboxes, Williams Models leaf springs.
Suspension : Walsall Model Industries 3-point compensation.
Buffers : Home cast GNR pattern long guides with Williams Models turned steel heads.
Brake blocks, push rods, V-hangers, brake levers and guides from Williams Models (parts modified as required to suit prototype) safety hoops from stainless steel (eventually found a use for those spring strips salvaged from scrap windscreen wipers!).
Other brake parts, step boards, label clips and minor detailing from brass, plastic card, brass rivets and home castings.
Draw hook by GRS, 3-link coupling chain from Williams Models.
Slaters (GRS) split spoke wheels.

It will be finished in the light grey CLC livery with large white lettering, as applied until 1930 (after which the goods stock of the CLC, except brake vans, was divided between the LNER and LMS and subsequently re-liveried).

A photo of this van appears on page 49 of LNER Wagons Volume 2 Southern Area by Peter Tatlow.

John.

John Candy

After a cold start to the week it warmed up in the garage and I have been able to spray the model over the past couple of days and have just applied the transfers.

The model is now ready to be presented to the lucky winner of the G3 Made Simple Competition (closing date for entries 30 April 2012).

Link to details and entry conditions
http://lakes-pages.com/gauge3.co.uk/G3Forum/index.php?topic=693.msg3647;topicseen#msg3647