• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

LGB chassis ?

Started by AllWight, Aug 19 2013 15:49

« previous - next »

AllWight

Hi chaps

I recently acquired an LGB chassis that I think would be a good donor for a Ruston Hornsby type shunter or even a railbus.

I wonder if anyone can advise the best option to go for. The wheel base is 75mm and the wheel diameter is 43mm.

Mark

Mark
Best & easiest option is to fit tramway side panels to the loco, then it does not matter what the size of the wheels are, not even the spacing of them & for that matter how many there are. Oh, & how they are connected & driven unless of course you want to create work for yourself.

Dave

Traininvain

I have one that is 78mm w/base with 45mm dia wheels. No matter, both close to 6ft wheelbase and 3ft 4in / 3ft 6in wheels

Is it an 0-4-0? Is so you have big choice of 6ft w/base shunters: Class 02, NBL D2700 - D2707, NBL D2708 - D2780 (3ft 6in dia wheel version Hunslet D2950 - D2952 (3ft 4in dia wheels and tramway side panels),  Barclay D2953 - D2956 (3ft 2in dia wheels), Ruston & Hornsby D2957 - D2958 (3ft 4in dia wheels), Brush D2999 and D9998 and 11104 (3ft 6in dia wheels)

Ian

AllWight

Thank you guys will look up some pictures and see what grabs my interest or attention

Mark

MikeWilliams

This may be a bit off-beat, but some tenders had 6ft + 6ft wheelbase and wheels of about that size.

Mike

John Dunford

I have an LGB Chassis in my Steam Tram, nicely converted to G3 track gauge by a G3 member that I bought at one of our shows.