• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Re: On board brains

Started by cabbage, Sep 01 2018 13:08

« previous - next »

cabbage

The time has come to put down the soldering iron and stir the paint...

What originally started out as a black five has morphed into a Jubilee style locomotive... I think it looks drop dead gorgious in red primer and I have a (small) amount of genuine LMS Crimson Lake or a source of Coronation Scot "Markeaton Red"... I do not want to paint it black. Neither do I feel that I want "Brunswick Green", although I feel that I would accept that. My Son has suggested the railway is an parallel universe where 1949 never happened and I can have LMS painted locos in 1962(!)

Does anyone have an "out" ???

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

It's your railway Ralph!

I do like it though, and you have a precedent for a red black five - and an 8F!  ;D

"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

Having stirred the jamjar and thinned it with turpentine to 3 seconds...

I get this!!!

The second coat is drying and already the Lake is starting to look "black" as it is not returning a colour -just the glossy mirror. I have three more coats to do and then hope there is enough left to do the tender when I have built it...

Regards

Ralph

Sleeper Agent

Found this thread a bit late but just to mention it an alternative to Brunswick would of been the Apple Green coat applied to one of the Black Five line up shortly after nationalisation.
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/5-inch-gauge-stanier-black-5-apple-green-livery-stock-code-2248/

Sticking with red there is this oddball as well ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HDxEUUxmzM

Anywho last photo of your scratch is looking quite nice I must say  :D

cabbage

As my father would have said "There is the strange, the weird, the frankly unbelievable -and then there is reality..." Now if I had known of this before starting out I would have fealt a lot easier. Now I can save my little jamjar of paint for another couple of locos -which were also black!

Construction of the tender has had to be halted because of the season and temperature. No one in their right mind solders in a kitchen with a 6.6Kg tank and a  7kW propane torch!!!

But hopefully some progress during the spring. Currently the tank and track are buried under snow and frost.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

After a "slight delay" due not to leaves on the line but a heart attack I have re-opened the shoe box of parts for my (red) Black Five. I had assemvled the brass work with a soldering iron and 60/40 solder. Now it was time to start using Easyflo and steel...

How the suspension and axle control parts work I have yet to find out...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Most of yesterday was spent drilling the holes in the frames and chassis plates. I used my Proxxon drill which is only 33% duty so a lot of time was spent looking at plans. The laser punch throughs are harder than the normal steel so I had to nurse my collection of 1mm bits. Alas they are all dead now...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

This is as far as I have got today... I had retiniopathy treatment yesterday and well it still doesn't feel normal yet. So it was out with the torch and a bit of soldering. Heat it until is is just red and stab it in the corners with rod and flux - no accuracy required!!!

The shot show the internal chassis spacers for the tender frame. A bit fiddly as they will only go together and have to be soldered as a unit...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

A little bit later and dozens of nuts on the floor!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Lunchtime -cheese cob and a mug of rosy! All the bolts have been fitted and nitted up with a little green loctite. The rivets were a pain, they are called snaps for the simple reason that once you have hit your fingers (again!) they end up flying through the window...

Aftet lunch some "pruning" with a jewellers saw.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Jusy add water...

How I am going to fix the tender body to the chassis -I haven't yet decided... There has to be access to the speaker system and maybe some additional batteries?

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

A dunk in the degreaser, a once over with grey acrylic primer and this is what the tender chassis looks like. A vast improvement on the burnt and loctite dripping thing of prior shots!

All the "special metals primer" has set solid so I plugged a few gaps in the tender body with some Milliput. These will be smoothed over with P38 and cellulose stopping compound before they get a layer of grey primer on them.

Nothing to do now while things dry and set...

Regards

Ralph

John Branch

methinks that chassis is never coming apart again!

cabbage

After some prayers I did have enough Crimson Lake to paint the tender body with... Time to start final assembly.

This ahot shows the isobaric speaker in its location at the rear of the water tank. This is a push pull system rather than a cone in cone -which is more compact.

Being deaf I have to take somethings on "faith" this one being that the sound card is correctly programmed!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Name plate, Builders number plate and shed plate have all arrived in the post this morning.

Needless to say the builders plate says Derby and the number and build year reflect this. The shed code is 17A (Derby) and the name of the loco is "The Hooded Swan".

The Wild Swan book was used to help build it and after seeing what I have done with their information - they may well wish to hide!

Regards

Ralph