• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GWR 29XX "Saint"

Started by John Candy, Nov 30 2020 10:46

« previous - next »

John Candy

One of my projects (for next year), is a "Saint", to make use of my "spare" 3,500 gallon tender.

I have commissioned Slaters to produce the correct coupled wheels (6ft 8.5 ins / 22-spokes / 15 inch throw), so they will be added to their G3 range in due course.

Malcolm of Model Engineers Laser is supplying mainframes, rods and horn block sets.

More news later (probably not before Easter).

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Sleeper Agent

It'll be interesting to see it come together John :) Out of curiosity how much was the commission for the wheels?

John Candy

The up-front tooling cost is 120+VAT.
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Sleeper Agent

Thanks John  :) Spoke to them a while back and they've agreed to tool 3' 6" Neilson wheels for me (the type that the West Somerset Mineral Railway box tanks had if anyone is interested).

Alan_H

John, any thoughts of making a 'convertible' as Lady of Legend? I spoke to Slaters a month or so back and they said they were producing 6' 81/2" wheels this years - that explains it!

Alan

John Candy

Alan,

I see no reason why it would not be possible to do as you suggest. The only complications would be possible "balancing"/stability issues to be taken into account and provision for the lateral movement of the trailing wheel.

Glad to hear that Slaters have not forgotten about my wheels .... it has been a long time with no word from them!

Regards,
John.