• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Measuring Sticks, G3 for the use of.

Started by LankyTank, Apr 06 2020 15:40

« previous - next »

LankyTank

Collective

As a relative newcomer, I notice, within the shop section of the Newsletter (fine publication) there is (or was), repeated mention of a G3 scale rule. Now, I understand that this hasn't been available for, at least 5 years.

How do we go about resurrecting this item - the one thing that a newcomer requires is a reliable measuring stick, and in G3 it would need to be a useful length, 12" is to short, it needs to be at least 18" in length.

Who produced to original artworks for the first batch, is it still available, do we reinvent the wheel..... Or do we just sit here looking at each other?

I have managed to get a 'G' scale one from CPL but at 1:22.5 it keeps coming up short - and it is bloody frustrating.

AshleyW

i agree baz, if the shop does not end up being laid out in the future mags, there should be at very minimum a scale rule available. if you find out who had done them previously, maybe time to get a batch done- poss j.t may know

Ian Hawkins

If it can be resurrected, I for one would buy one. IanH

IanT

I have one of the original G3 rules and mine has some interesting features.  :-)

Mike W had them produced by one of his trade suppliers I believe. They were made from stainless steel and are quite thin - which is generally very handy but they do need careful storage when not in use.

Regards,

IanT 
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Yes, I'm guilty here.

I still have the CAD files, so more could be done quite easily.  They were etched in a two stage process in hard stainless steel of a thickness recommended by the etchers as what he uses for other scale rules.  There are however two errors on them which would be worth correcting and would therefore involve at least a partial re-tooling cost.  One error is that one of the scales increments 1,2,3,4,5,6, ... 28,29,20,21,22 ...!  I forget the other error but I'm sure I could find it.

At the time some said they were too thin, others liked it.  One committee member complained that a small section is in half millimetres which nobody uses - he said.  Must admit much of the actual design was my own preference.

So, most of the work has been done - very happy to hand the CAD file over to whoever wants to take it on.

Regarding the Society Shop, I do hope the Society is not thinking of selling it all to one trader.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

If a new scale rule is to be produced, could we have one that has a matt surface?  The one that I have at present is shiny and difficult to read.  I don't mind that it is thin in fact, in some ways, I quite prefer it.

Jon

IanT

Thin is good for a measuring rule - it helps avoid parallax error.

IanT

Peaky 556

I'm looking at mine now, and no, I don't normally take it to bed for spanking duties...🥴

I can see no sign of the scale error mentioned by Mike W, so I can only assume the artwork was corrected at some point.  As for length Baz, mine has a scale up to 13".  As for shininess Jon, I would quite agree it should be matte.

I find it occasionally useful, but probably wouldn't buy another (even if better) one.

Tim

Spitfire2865

Id probably buy one if it was reasonably long. Would help with quick measurment checks while scratchbuilding.
What were the scale divisions of the original design?
-Trevor Young

IanT

A Metric/Imperial rule (an edge for each) on one side and 'Scale' feet (at 13.5mm/ft) on the other side (along both top & bottom edges, which is useful) - will measure up to 25 scale feet Trevor

IanT

MikeWilliams

I see it was 2009 when I drew this out and it was made by Photo Etch Consultants of Birmingham.  The errors were on one side only and I corrected the artwork in 2015 but the Society decided not to proceed with another batch at that time.  I can't lay my hands on the invoice at present so can't tell you what they cost us back then.

Not sure how you produce a matt finish but still show the engraved lettering clearly, but the etchers may advise.

The last Newsletter implied that something may be happening to the Shop so I guess now may not be the best time for the Society to take this on .. or maybe it is?  Is there a committee member on here?

Mike

Andy B

Matt or brush finish stainless is quite common. The only issue could be a supplier being able to obtain it in a small quantity at a reasonable price. As Mike says, the only way to find out is to talk to the etchers.

Andy

cabbage

I have one of the original "numerically challenged" ones. I don't use it as much as I originally thought that I would. The reason is the fact that it is too long... One of about 15cm length and a mm thick would be perfect for me.

Regards

Ralph

LankyTank

Yes, Mike, I'm on here..... What's happening with the shop? Might be a case of 'use it or loose it' but if there's nothing to sell, who's going to buy it....? One has to stock the items that people need/want.... If you're stocking stuff that doesn't sell, why are you stocking it? Anyway, this is diverting from the main question - Measuring sticks.

I know PEC in Brum, though I've not spoke to them for a while, I have thrown money at them in the past. Will have to dig out my contacts book.

So, Ralph wants one the size of a 6" rule, (how can a12" rule be to long...?) I want one that's the length of an 18" rule.....

If you've got the artwork Mike perhaps we need to talk - it could be that I stand the cost of production & the risk of selling them on.... if the Society doesn't want to put it's hand in it's collective pocket.

AshleyW

i'll buy one if you get a new batch done correctly baz, as i'm sure others will. perhaps some of us could "loan" you a gift to share the cost of production and re-coup afterwards? ash