• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Room with a View (North Western style)!

Started by John Candy, May 02 2024 18:27

« previous - next »

John Candy

A signal box is needed for my main terminus and a photo of Chester No.6 caught my attention.
I don't need one quite that big but the LNWR employed modular, timber, designs, adaptable for various lengths and mountable on different foundations, including brick, timber and over-track girder-work.
I decided a box to accommodate 45 levers would be "about right" and opted for the final LNWR design, "Type 5", size "J".
Chester No.6 was/is(?) an earlier Type 4 design, so I used Mossley box (also illustrated in "LNWR Portrayed", Jack Nelson, Peco Publications 1975) as a guide.

The book contains scale drawings of several types of box, including the Type 5.

The results of my efforts are illustrated, the box being designed to span double track.
It is 3D printed, apart from the laser cut plywood floor and the brass wire for the hand rails.

John.

NWsb1.pngNWsb2.pngNWsb3.pngNWsb4.pngNWsb5.pngNWsb6.pngNWsb7.pngNWsb8.pngNWsb9.pngNWsb10.png
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Very nice John.

I hope you bring it inside when not running.

Wouldn't want the squirrels using it as tree house! :-)

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John

That's a serious piece of 3D printing, but a wonderful model the detail is excellent.

Mike