• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Solder for steel

Started by Rob_F, Nov 17 2014 11:28

« previous - next »

Rob_F

Hi

I have a Williams Models wagon kit that I will be starting shortly and that will require me to solder steel - something I have not tried before

Can you please suggest a solder suitable for soldering steel - I intend to use Carrs green flux and a 80w soldering iron

Can you please suggest a specific brand and spec if possible

I am going to Warley at the weekend so a model specific solder will be ok if you think it's something I could find at that show

IanT

Others will have to advise you what they use (and how they do it) Rob.

The last lot I did, I brazed but silver solder would be similar. I did soft solder some a while ago but still used a small torch to do it. For mild steel I think Carrs 'Green' should do the job OK.

The other thing that I used (but may not work in your case) was two small 'angle' plates cut from scrap steel and tapped to take holding screws. They kept the pieces at right angles whilst I was soldering - but I had plenty of heat. An alternative would be a simple wooden jig (two pieces screwed together to give a right angle) to hold things in place, which would get 'singed' but not draw the heat away too much...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Rob,

I use Carr's green flux and used their "224" solder on my Cliff Barker stainless steel pointwork (with a microflame butane torch) but I believe Carr's 224 is no longer available (wasn't last time I looked at their website).

In the past I have used Templer's Telux flux and Fry's "Powerflow 99c" lead free solder for mild steel to brass (e.g. footplates on GRS loco kits).

Regards,
John 
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

MikeWilliams

No idea what make of solder I use, but something like this should do the job,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250g-1-2mm-High-Quality-Solder-Wire-Tin-Lead-60-40-2-5-Flux-Multicored-CYNEL-/251721988752?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item3a9bccba90

Being a luddite, I don't trust lead-free solders and can't see the pint of them.

Your 80W iron will be more than sufficient and with that flux the solder should rum like water - perfect.

Mike

Andy B

Quote from: MikeWilliams on Nov 17 2014 23:00
....... and can't see the pint of them.

......should rum like water - perfect.

Mike - have you cracked the Christmas sherry open already??
Or maybe sampling the ingredients whilst making the Christmas puds? ;D

Andy

MikeWilliams

Dear oh dear, the cat is out of the bag!

I must learn to draft postings and then proof read before hitting the "post" key!

Mike

midnight miller

Hello Rob and All

If you are soldering the white metal springs to the W irons . My method is to tin the W irons with ordinary solder first and the flux that comes in a yellow tub  ( I use a 75 watt iron ) and then use low melt solder and phosferic ( liquid flux ) for the white metal bits .

John