• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Barrett Kit E22/J65

Started by AshleyW, Feb 28 2023 15:37

« previous - next »

AshleyW

been started, progress thus far, if you're not aware, check out their advert in the newsletter.P1030767.JPGP1030768.JPG 

Jon Nazareth

Hello Ashley

How did you 'hold' the chassis for painting?  I assume that you spray painted it and I'm wondering if you made up a jig to hold it with.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Thinking about this again.  How does anyone support their chassis' for painting?

Jon

Jon Nazareth

I've thought of an idea but thought it best if I posted this just in case folk came up with explaining elaborate schemes.

Jon

AshleyW

well i painted it prior to bolting together. all parts red first, then when layed flat just spray over with black, the red inner face on the flat sheet self masks/protects itself

Jon Nazareth

Ah, that would account for the sharpness of the black paint lines in the cut outs.  Here is a picture of the 'jig' that I made up to hold my frames.  When they are dismounted, I'll have to make good to the paint where the frames were held by those studs.  Here's a picture of the hand held jig that I cobbled together.  These frames are quite big compared to the things that I normally paint so, I'm wonder how people cope with painting anything bigger.

Jon

IMG_5409.JPG