• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Doddys HaupWerkstatte - My build thread

Started by Doddy, Mar 02 2018 10:42

« previous - next »

Doddy

Eclectic Electric Nameplate (photo for deriving etched brass artwork)

And CAB (Virgin liveried Gauge 1 models sat next to a new Gauge 3 print)

"You don't know what you don't know"

Doddy

AshleyW

very nice. it seems that a new member has joined g3 on the strength of building an ald class 25. so that shows there is interest in modern (80's!) traction. i'll let him know about this class 87, looks great thus far

Doddy

Put a Gauge 1 locomotive inside it?   ::)

John Candy

Not that eccentric!
Remember the Guinness brewery in Dublin .... the standard gauge locos were narrow gauge steam locos placed into a standard gauge chassis.
There were other examples of this practice.
http://www.museum.alibaba.sk/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/gaugechange/gaugechange.htm

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Doddy

Yes, I know I have been documenting the Class 87, but the Class 86 is not far away from final CAD and both machines pulled MKII coaches out of Euston (London), which have B4 bogies and look like these...These are O gauge, but the Gauge 3 variant is almost ready for their creation on a 3D resin print bed.

Along with a bogie mounted axle generator as an option

1st Class Seats

Roof Vents (MKI and MKII type)

AshleyW

great, i can hear the piped music as the hum of the electric arrives in glasgow central !

Doddy

cabbage

Utter and complete *ENVY*!!!!

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

A box of parts to be shipped and assembled in the New Year.

• A Class 87 kit with single arm pantograph and roof mounted fire protection tanks.
  • An 87/0 or 87/1 version can be built from this kit of parts.
  • This one will be 87 101 STEPHENSON. (A Thyristor controlled locomotive in real life.)
  • 3D CAD parts were developed from measurements made of 87 035 at Crewe Heritage Centre.
87 035 just restored to Virgin Trains livery

AshleyW

hmmm, so are the kits available to other members ? would you like anything putting in market place etc ??? ash

Doddy

Quote from: AshleyW on Dec 29 2021 12:48
hmm, so are the kits available to other members ? Would you like anything putting in marketplace etc ??? ash
Ashley, sadly not on this occasion. I will not be marketing this model as it is a Commission for which I do not own the IPR or CAD files, - and it is also printed to 2 1/2" Gauge (14 mm/foot) a scale in which some members would baulk at using. Given the poor (read low) sales of ALD Models I think it unlikely it would make any commercial sense to go to market with a prototype that has less following in OO gauge mainstream modelling  let alone 2 1/2" Gauge.

• This locomotive 'kit' is a 2 1/2" Gauge development prototype, serial number 14MM/#0001
  • This particular model is printed to 14 mm scale. Not as per Gauge 3 Society technical specifications, except for wheel profile and track dimensions.
  • Only two other models have been built, both in Gauge One.
  • I will not be marketing this model as I do not own the IPR or CAD files.
  • I commissioned this from the models' developer, whom anybody can contact directly on Facebook.
  • The 'kit' does not contain any running gear, as I have yet to develop all those parts in metal.
  • Sounds for both the Tap Changer and Thyristor variants have been made and like 'Lion' (my own design Class 85) a suitable sound card is almost ready. (Covers most classes of WCML Diesels & Electrics).
  • Work not yet started on a suitable interface controller to operate all the motorised accessories via R/C or DCC. I.E. Air brake cylinder motion, pantographs, head and tail lights. Cab instrument panel lighting and opening cab doors.
87 101 'STEPHENSON' as a test and development platform will take over from my original plan to build the ADTRANZ 128X locomotive which was to be built to test multi-brushless motors, power controllers, sound systems and hand operated controllers.

Doddy

First prints are coming off the 3D Resin Printer for the MKII Coach bogies.

Doddy

First 14mm scale 2 1/2" Gauge MKII bogies for evaluation are in the post. Rather than using an FDM printer, these are produced in a Resin Bath on the Elegoo Saturn 3D Printer.

Doddy

MKII bogies in 2 1/2" Gauge, I am really impressed with 3D printing technology these days.