• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

The Call of Cthulu...

Started by cabbage, Feb 02 2020 15:11

« previous - next »

cabbage

I have ordered two 55 mm fans to build the Russian with. Thrust with the pair of them is only going to be about 10 newtons. This is less than one of the fans fitted to the Black Bug... But a more "stately" acceleration would be expected of a passenger train. The nics picture of the Russian shows it pulling more than two carriages! However a turbine car (?) plus two carriages is what it is going to be - because of platform length. The same is going to have to happen with the Japanese emu. This is going to have to be chopped down to two "ends" and a middle carriage.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Now that I am being forced to "think happy thoughts"  the postman has supplied me with items to do so!  I have the 100 ampere 3-phase ESC and the cutting tools to fit my CNC router with. The nurse has been and I have assured her that I will do nothing stressful but limit the day to doodling, reading and typing.

What the troupe of machines are going to do -I never mentioned...

I will not be at the AGM as I got out of hospital Wednesday lunchtime.

Regards

Ralph

MikeWilliams

Great to hear that you are back at home Ralph.  A sure those nurses did nothing for your blood pressure.

Mike

IanT

Sorry you will not make the AGM Ralph but take care of yourself and hope to see you later this Summer...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

cabbage

Royal Mail has delivered the  two smaller engines from China. These will be the "YAk" engines on the Russian loco. The pod for these is going to require some extreme ginger nut crunching as they will require wiring conduits inside of them. Although  I am quite confident of the pod for the black bug taking the force the pod for the Russian is far more flimsy and may need some steel rod "injecting" into it(?)

Back to cutting the lawn or should that read watercress???

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

After four days of pencil chewing... I "think" I have got a sequence of construction to produce the Russian jet pod. It breaks down into two jet shrouds and two half a T supports.

The main problem is going to be the front to back weight distribution. In the Black Bug the jet pod  is aft of the front bogie whilst in the Russian it is directly Infront. What the noise level must have been like for the drivers -I shudder to contemplate...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

This is the start of printing the jet pods for the Russian loco. They will be 100mm wide and 160mm long. Yes the loco does not fit within the G3 loading gauge - but to be honest I never thought it would!

Both the American and Russian locos will have to have very low initial rolling resistance. Thus I have been thinking about Aluminium wheels with double roller races... These I could make using the Scullin Patten for tender wheels - again to remove mass.

Everything on the Russian loco will have to be as  light as possible because this has the lower power motors. Once the thrust car is done I can measure the thrust available. I f it pulls two of my LMS carriages then I know I am safe!

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Just after 1 am.. The print failed at 15 hours of running, (agh!!!!) But at least I have another Daliest pen holder for the house.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

During my enforced lay off at the QMC I did manage to get most of the source parts for the locomotive worked out. Some of the things now seem logical but insane... I plan to make the wheels from bar stock Aluminium and have thrust bearings as well as ball bearings on the wheels. Part of the R/C system is going to have to have brakes triggered from it as thrust buckets will not seem to be workable...

I am going to have shorten the overall length by a scale nine feet otherwise it will overhang into the outer curve on a corner(!)

Regards

Ralph