• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Potential Scam emails

Started by IanT, Dec 06 2018 15:24

« previous - next »

IanT

I've just returned home to find two identical emails in my inbox - apparently from other members of the Society.

If you have received a similar request to "fill in the statement" (with a supplied link) - I suggest you delete it.

I will be contacting the committee to inform them. I do not think this is a data breech, as the emails used are in the public domain - but I thought a word of warning might be sensible...

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Ian,

Thank you for the warning, I haven't (yet) received any such messages.
If you still have the messages in your "trash" folder, can you extract the full header data which gives the source and routing info?
Depending upon email client you are using, the menu option will be similar to "View"/Headers"/"All".

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

eMail sent to you John,

Ian
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Thanks Ian.
I have replied to you with my analysis.
BT appears to have placed a block on the sender's IP, so anybody with a BT account should be safe.
John.

P.S. From the data which Ian sent me, I suspect a member of G3S or this forum may have an "infected" computer/tablet or whatever and that a "trojan" has accessed their address book. I recommend that all members immediately run an anti-virus/anti-spyware scan of their own systems.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

I have just received a message allegedly from Alan Marsden but it is a "spoof" message containing a link....which is probably malicious.

If you receive one, do not open, immediately delete.

John.

John Candy

WARNING : Spoof emails are doing the rounds again!

I have just deleted four which arrived here, purporting to be from myself.....I deleted without opening in case they were infected.

I have been told by "Allwight" that he has received a "dodgy looking" message which claimed to have been sent by me.

If you receive any similar messages DELETE IMMEDIATELY>>>>DO NOT OPEN....they may carry a virus.

John