• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Speed whiskers

Started by hornbeam, Apr 15 2013 12:32

« previous - next »

hornbeam

Hi

I'm in the process of rebuilding a GWR railbus into BR green and after that a two BR railbuses the same. All will need speed wiskers on the front and I'm unsure how to do them. Fix transferes only do them up to gauge one. I'm wondering if I should get a set and get the GRS transfer service to scale them up. Failing that any ideas?

Thanks

Si

AllWight

Hi

This is easy to do. Get yourself some "Lo-Tac Tape" and place it over the end of the unit. Now you need to measure the end of the unit and plot out the centre point of the whiskers and the finish point as well as the angle of the swish. With a sharp scalpel carefully cut the tape and remove the part that you wish to paint. Using a 10mm flat brush paint strait over the tape and the exposed area of green on the unit. This might take 2 or 3 attempts. Leave plenty of time between each application of paint. When you have a good paint finish carefully with the scalpel remove the rest of the "Lo-Tac Tape". As long as there are no air bubbles you should have a clean sharp edge to the whiskers. If not go around with a fine brush and touch up with the green where needed. Varnish once you are happy with the result.

I look forward to seeing the finished results.

Mark