• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

5-Plank wagon transfers

Started by Mister Paul, Aug 01 2010 22:46

« previous - next »

Mister Paul

Hello

Newbie here.

I'm building a 5-plank open wagon kit. I'm looking for appropriate transfers for it to suit the BR grey I've painted it in.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a supplier?

Thanks

John Candy

Unfortunately, very few G3 Society members model the post-nationalization era and I am not aware of any wagon transfers commercially produced for the BR era.
If you have tried GRS then I think it will be a case for improvisation (Fox certainly do not have G3 wagon transfers in their catalogue).

There is one member who models the early BR era but he does not frequent this forum....even though he is Secretary of the Society!

I will send him a message asking what he uses.

Alternative would be to ask a Society member who is ordering a custom transfer sheet to add your wagon lettering to his order, which would be just one benefit of becoming a member.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

Paul,

The reply I have received is that he has been using "Decadry" lettering but his supplier is now out of stock and will not order more until there is sufficient demand.

You could try "Googling" to see whether you can find a "dry print" supplier with the correct typeface.

Alternative would be to try and persuade "Fox" to upscale their 7mm sheet to G3 (they do already supply a small range of loco lettering in G3).

The only other alternative is to prepare a "custom" sheet or (since you have only a limited requirement) join the Society and ask a member who is ordering a sheet to add your lettering to it (I know of at least one member who will oblige).

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Mister Paul

John

Thanks for your replies. I'll mull it over during our upcoming holiday.

Paul

keith Bristol

Paul

I model that era too and have a requirement for similar waggon transfers for grey and bauxite waggons. perhaps we can get a supplier to make a sheet and share cost?

Keith