• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

The Wharton wheel

Started by Jon Nazareth, Sep 17 2021 18:55

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

I wish to build two horseboxes that are mounted on Wharton wheels.  I have looked at the HMRS website and the internet but can't find anything about them at all.  Does anyone know where I may be able to find any information or drawing of the Wharton wheel?  If I can find enough information, Mark Wood may be aqble to produce some castings.

Jon

John Branch

I found a catalogue entry for  the 1851 Great exhibition. (GRACESGUIDE.CO.UK) it looks like William Wharton was an American engineer/inventor who designed tramway pointwork and many other things.  I could find no details of his wheel except the 1851 entry which says that the wheel centres were wooden and the tyre fitted without being heated.

John

Jon Nazareth

John

Thank you for the reply.
I'm slowly putting some drawings together and hope that they are enough to produce a pattern from.  What I've found, I've sent to Mark Wood and am awaiting a reply from him to say if this scheme is possible or not.

Jon

MikeWilliams

Don't fancy making wooden centres then Jon, with tyres fixed without shrinking .... just a thought.

Knowing you the rest of the model will be worth it.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

John
I think that there were two chaps called William Wharton, one here and one in America.  I do say think  :)

Mike
I am thinking about it but just thinking.  I'll see what Mark Wood comes up with and make a  decision on that.

This morning, I looked at the lists of patents from 1838-1853.  There were two entries for Wharton, some for Henson and even Gooch was in there too.

11.02.1846.  No. 11087.  'Improvements for straps and bands...'
16.12.1848.  No. 12369.  'Construction of vehicles used on railways, roads and other places...'

Jon