• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Assembly Problems

Started by Dave_P, Feb 28 2022 17:34

« previous - next »

Dave_P

I have acquired a part finished Loco (Bond 4-6-0 mixed traffic) for which I have a number of blue prints although most of the machining is complete.
Where I have got stuck is fitting the connecting rods and wheel coupling rods.
The Bonds BS307  "Pacific" coupling Rods fit the crank pins fine but the connecting rods insist on clipping the crank pin on the leading wheel. The crankpin only protrudes about 0.010" from the coupling rod but as there are only about 3 threads I'm reluctant to shorten it any more.
Is it normal to have a shim on the centre crank pin between the coupling rod and the connecting rod? What sort of clearence should I aim for at the leading wheel crank pin?
Is there another surviving one of these locos in captivity?

IanT

Do the drawings you have cover the coupling/connecting rods, crank pins etc Dave?

If so, I'd check the dimension of these parts against them and also perhaps the wheel thickness/boss depth etc. The coupling rod position (distance from frames etc) if defined by the cylinder placement, so a slight mismatch there may also cause lack of clearance elsewhere.

If you do not have a complete set of drawings, then the N25GA should have scans of most of the 'standard' Bonds design sheets, as all the engines shared a lot of common parts.

Regards,

IanT   

Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

I am sure David White (address in the membership list but he's in the Coventry area) must have one or more of these.  Sometimes its easier to see and handle another example.

Mike