• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Steve Beattie's Class 22 Diesel Hydraulic Kit

Started by Doddy, Feb 19 2017 05:33

« previous - next »

Doddy

Known for O gauge kits, Steve is now venturing into G3. This is the Class 22 in design and build stage to produce a resin master.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/112056-gavins-gauge3-fiddlings/?p=2593485
"You don't know what you don't know"

hornbeam

I've e-mailed Steve and he is hoping to have something on display at the Reading show in May. Certainly and exciting development and being a one piece body hopefully easily to construct

Kelvin White

Is this project still alive?
I used to trainspot the baby warships at Stoke Gifford (now the site of Bristol Parkway Station.

hornbeam

Not looking good. Last time I had contact he said he needs more funds to develop or further.

Doddy

Plus, if you look at his website, all activity is currently curtailed due to the process of his business being sold.

LankyTank

Doddy,

I think you'll find that it's only part of the business being hived off - SB is now exploring the 3D printing/resin casting aspect of production, albeit in the 'smaller' scales, G0 & G1.

MikeWilliams

It would be great to see a main line diesel kit on the market, but am I alone in thinking its a strange one to choose?  Only lasted just over 10 years, only used on the ex-GWR.  Would be a shame if he put in lots of work only to find that sales were disappointing.  Or is it a blow up of a kit in the smaller scales, so setup costs will be lower?

Peaky 556

Quote from: MikeWilliams on Feb 05 2019 12:16
It would be great to see a main line diesel kit on the market...
Mike, I know that Kippo Models has toyed with the idea of a Class 37 kit, and if there was enough interest shown I'm sure Eddie would come up with the goods.
Regards,
Tim

Doddy

Quote from: MikeWilliams on Feb 05 2019 12:16
It would be great to see a main line diesel kit on the market, but am I alone in thinking its a strange one to choose?  Only lasted just over 10 years, only used on the ex-GWR.  Would be a shame if he put in lots of work only to find that sales were disappointing.  Or is it a blow up of a kit in the smaller scales, so setup costs will be lower?
Perhaps the availability of works engineering drawings prompted the decision? Steve in all fairness, had access to original North British Locomotive Company works drawings - in fact he cataloged the Hunslet collection on behalf of Glasgow University Archive services.
Steve had a previous O gauge model of the Class 22 in brass, so some commonailty here.

If a mainline model had the kind of features that The Little Loco Company have integrated into their O gauge model then, I could envisage seeing a few interested parties buying one. http://www.littleloco.co.uk/product/nbl-type-2-class-22/