• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Radio control for review

Started by Traininvain, Dec 01 2014 09:48

« previous - next »

Andy B

Quote from: cabbage on Jan 18 2017 20:29
Maybe Tim and I could coax Andy B for some module lessons???

Sure - let me know when you've got your bits and we can have an 'RC' afternoon!
Remind me to bring my file with me containing the instruction sheets and my scribbled notes / reminders - then i might have some chance of remembering exactly how I did things!

Andy

Doddy

Quote from: Traininvain on Jan 18 2017 18:50
If I were you I'd forget the Deltang and related systems and the Revolution too and check out the GigaRad stuff from Timpdon Electronics

Wow! Don't promote products used by members of this society? - OK!
"You don't know what you don't know"

Traininvain

Andy is right, I stand corrected on all counts. My apols to all Forum members

Ian

Peaky 556

Quote from: cabbage on Jan 16 2017 09:23
Tim,

The article appears in issue 100 of the Newsletter (spring 2014). I am looking at the Deltang kits.

www.deltang.co.uk

regards

ralph
Hmmm, that is one of the mags I am missing, so I'm hoping there will be back-copies available at the AGM.

As for Deltang, not an altogether helpful experience.  All I can establish is that they cannot cope with any higher voltage than 18v. I am tending to use SLA batteries, including a stack up to a nominal 18v, but of course that can exceed 18v when fully charged and rise to 21v during charging.  I have been in touch with David and he can offer no other guidance on selection.

I have emailed Timpdon Electronics with a bit of a spec and asked for advice.  The website range looks interesting, and they claim the Tx can bind to any model with a Timpdon Rx, without approaching the model...  that sounds to be a recipe for piracy!

Regards, Tim

Andy B

Tim,
I assume your >18V requirement is for the motor speed controller, not the Rx (the latter potentially being supplied by a regulated tap).
If so, would not one of the higher capacity the MTroniks ESCs meet your needs?
This could be controlled using a Deltang Rx102 or a Timpdon GRX1

Andy

Andy B

P.S.
Just found there is a high voltage loco-specific version too - Viper Loco 10 HV

Andy

Peaky 556

Quote from: Andy B on Jan 19 2017 13:57
Tim,
I assume your >18V requirement is for the motor speed controller, not the Rx (the latter potentially being supplied by a regulated tap).
If so, would not one of the higher capacity the MTroniks ESCs meet your needs?
This could be controlled using a Deltang Rx102 or a Timpdon GRX1

Andy
Andy you're right about the 18v being for motor power.  So when an ESC is connected to both the battery and the receiver, only a reduced voltage is fed to the Rx then?  It's beginning to dawn on me than the BEC fitted to all ESCs, or UBEC as some call it, is this very convenient "regulated tap".  So I'm not clear why David of Deltang ruled out his receivers as unsuitable for my 18v system!  It may be that the two Rx that he recommends for trains, Rx41 and Rx60, both have an in-built ESC.  I don't want that, preferring flexibility.  There appear to be over twenty other types of Rx on his website, but he doesn't help himself by declining to discuss applicability.
I'll sit back and await a reply from Timpdon.
Mark, many thanks for your input, but I'm guessing all your systems are aircraft based, with fiddle-sticks? I know they work well and have a massive development programme behind them, but I'm going down the road of the more unobtrusive boxes with twiddle-knobs!
Regards, Tim

Andy B

Thanks to David White for suggesting another supplier that I had not previously come across, and whose speed controllers have some serious power capability!:
Electronize.net of Sutton Coldfield.

The units are quite bulky - but any model that needs the power that they can handle probably has plenty of space to accommodate them.

Andy

keith Bristol

You can now add Piko and wireless DCC control to the list using Wifi.

Doddy

Quote from: keith Bristol on Jan 21 2017 22:12
You can now add Piko and wireless DCC control to the list using Wifi.

It might be worth elaborating here, as the PIKO system is a cut-down version of the Massoth DCC system which has wireless between the handset and the receiver which then plugs into a track fed master controller to provide DCC signals over the track.

Unless of course you have added Blue-Rail technology to have a wireless transmitter between the master controller and a DCC wireless receiver mounted in the locomotive, and also use an iPhone or similar to control trains rather than the PIKO (Massoth) hand-held controller.
"You don't know what you don't know"

Peaky 556

Doddy, I've checked in my Xmas stocking again but there wasn't one of those in there. :-\

keith Bristol

Piko handset to the base station, boosted by a wifi extender, then a wire replacement Tx RX Tam Valley to the loco

Peaky 556

Looking again at the Timpdon systems, they don't "seem" to offer more than one proportional channel, just one for speed control and the other four or five seem to be toggle switches.  I am awaiting more info from them to confirm this, but if so, the system would not be flexible enough for me.
Looking again at Deltang, they offer a Tx with three twiddly knobs for propo outputs, plus various switched outputs, but I'm blowed if I can tell if the Rx all have built-in ESCs or not.  I am frustrated by the complete lack of advice/explanation forthcoming.  Their website is aimed at nerds in my view.  Has anyone else had luck in this respect? :( Tim

Andy B

Tim,

As I said in a post above, the Deltang Rx102 is the one you need for locos with a separate ESC.
In the 'Receivers' tables, there is a column labelled 'H outputs (motor)' which shows how many motors the unit will control.
Here, the Rx 102 has a blank- i.e. no motors.

Andy

cabbage

Well speaking as a super knerd... The Deltang web site IS confusing... But I have persivered and I think I have a shopping list. Most of the locos will have to use external ESCs. But maybe two can use 6A rated rx units(?)

I like the idea of the three way controller - but is the 12 way more practical(?) I did send DT an email but got the reply that he was too busy to help...

Regards

Ralph