• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Coach bogies

Started by MikeWilliams, Nov 02 2009 22:20

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

For a couple of years now there have been repeated suggestions that the Society should produce a generic carriage bogie sideframe which members could detail as they wish, or encourage the trade to produce the details for different railways and types.

We have taken the first step by having laser cut from 2mm mild steel the outline for a 9ft wheelbase bogie.  It has holes cut for the axle bearings; in the centre for the main stretcher; and also for a tierod.  Separate tierods are included, but they are also 2mm mild steel, so folk may prefer to make their own from thinner material.  Sorry I can't attach a photo but I don't know how to reduce my pictures to the 100kb maximum allowed here.

We welcome any comments, suggestions and indeed orders!  The intention is to add 8ft and 10ft and possibly 8ft 6in versions to the range eventually.  Although intended to be generic, rather than make it incorrect for everything, the 9ft sideframes are actually drawn to an LMS design.

I only collected these first parts from the laser cutters tonight, so not been able to confirm the price with our committee, but they will not be expensive.

Any comments?

Mike

cabbage

As requested....

Weight is not really important -it is the rolling resistance that, (to me), is more critical.

regards

ralph

cabbage

The choice of an LMS bogie may seem strange -but the market is about to be "glutted" so to speak with LMS coaches. GRS are (I believe) about to produce a few and Chris Barron now lists them amoung his plans for sale. So this is a cherry pick moment for their arrival.

However I am more interested in what items I could use this raw generic shape to produce things from. With a little "dremel work" and a bit of appliqued ABS sheet -that could very well become the basis for a B0 power bogie for a diesel or electric. A little saw work and some silver solder and you can turn 3 sideframes into a pair of C0 power bogies... Alternatively they are the basis for the front and/or trailing bogies for a steam loco, (possibly you might need to invert them!)

As shown the central bore hole is for simple compensating, but a swift pass of a milling machine with an end mill will give you the slots for horn guides. Or you could use sandwiches....

regards

ralph

MikeWilliams

The bogie sideframes will eventually be available from the Society Shop, but at the moment they can be ordered from me - address in the Newsletter.

Price £5 per carriage set - i.e. 4 sideframes and 4 tierods.  Postage £2 for any quantity.

Mike Williams