• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

march 2023 newsletter

Started by AshleyW, Mar 09 2023 13:39

« previous - next »

AshleyW

should be on the doorstep before the weekend is over. ash

AshleyW

sounds like some have it now, pity the snow delayed delivery, still awaiting my own copy.
ash

Chris_P

Mine arrived yesterday and I was impressed with its quality.  I note that like many such publications there is a request by the editor for more articles.  I wonder whether a couple of things might be encouraged?

New members invited to submit something to a short section loosely called "my journey into Gauge 3"

Articles about 3D printing, whilst there are several posts on here about specific models I couldn't see anything to assist people new to this type of modelling explaining and sharing experience of best machines and materials for long life models.  It seems many of the general articles found through internet searches don't really cover aspects of concern to a railway modeller such as durability, longevity, ease of painting, quality of finish etc.

cabbage

Well speaking as the first member to use 3D printing, the first step is to decide how you are going to produce your raw files to build with. This falls  into two camps. The programmers who use scripts to plan their model and the draftsman who use graphical systems.

I am a programmer. I use OpenScad

The first 3D article I wrote for the Newsletter on the subject was called "How to Print a Station". This was the original Brassica Station.

It was printed in PLA using a Prusa I3.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Oh Sorry I nudged Post! The previous edition of the Newsletter contained "The Wonder Engine". Allied this there are now a total of five Wonder Engines, two Class 22 locos and three DY-1. The oldest owner/builder is now in year 11. These were all printed on an I3 Prusa by pupils at St Andrews School.

Regards

Ralph

PS if you want the scripts -then just ask

AshleyW

articles, yes chris it'd be desirable to have those articles, but it's hard to persuade folk to do so. but i hope your coments on here may twist arms. ash

cabbage

Well the G3S produced a booklet on Coal Firing Locos - so perhaps it is time for a G3-3D booklet?

Regards

Ralph