• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Can you identify this locomotive pleas?

Started by MikeWilliams, Nov 01 2023 17:12

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

Very nicely made.  Solid axleboxes - unsprung.  Has a large boiler and large smokebox with suggests to me it might be European rather than British, but does anyone recognise its origins please?  Is it a well known G3 design?.

Mike

MikeWilliams

And here's the underside.

Mike

Andy B

Mike - can you take a few measurements - axle centres. wheel diameter, boiler diameter?
Might help narrow it down.
Andy

MikeWilliams

Driving axle centres 5in, drivers 3.5in diameter.  Boiler 10in long (plus smokebox) and 3in diameter with 7 tubes plus flue.  I suspect its a 2 1/2in design as the construction is strong, but nice.  The boiler seems to be amateur made, very heavy and bears no markings at all.

Mike

IanT

Possibly a Henry Greenly design?

Henry Greenly Designs

A NER R1 perhaps?

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

MikeWilliams

Thank you Ian.  I managed to find one picture of a Greenly R1 and you may well be right.  The general layout, shape of the frames etc does look the same.  The bogie wheels are smaller on this model, but it does come with castings for larger ones.  Even the smokebox details look the same.

Now I need to find it a home.

Mike