• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GRS Kit for LMS Fowler 4F....anyone built it?

Started by John Candy, Mar 01 2011 22:34

« previous - next »

joewatt

I would like to thank everyone for the welcoming replies to my post. I live in York, so can't make the 'meets' and events, which appear to be mainly down South.

I am a professional engineer in the aircraft industry and although I will defend GRS for its excellent product, the reliabilty of the ready to run brass products I've bought was not up to my work standards - the soldering failed in several places on my GWR carriages. I guess the magic of GRS is that it enables office-bound engineers like me to dabble in model making and produce impressive results without having to have too much skill and imagination. I am in awe of those of you who can scratch build.
Joe

AllWight

Hi Joe if you want I can send you some pics of engines GRS and others that I have built as well as the progress thus far on my Adams Radial Tank 4-4-2T. This is a kit that I am developing with a little help from a couple of other members who happen to be whizzes on the CAD front. I take it your interests lie with all thing western but did you know that there was actually one of these engines purchased by the Brecon and Merthyr Railway which became their No.44 and was taken into Western stock in 1923 after that i  can not pass on any information.

I also understand York is a fair drive from the sunny south so perhaps I might see you at John Tomlinsons GTG in July 31st. He lives outside Manchester I think that is slightly closer to your territory. Send an email to markn1981@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers Mark

IanT

John T recently had a table at the Keighley Club Open Day Joe (which not so far from York) and some Northern members brought along some of their Gauge '3' stock - both completed and work-in-progress.

From what I understand they all enjoyed themselves and everyone else who stopped by the exhibits were apparently very complementary. John is also keen to get a G3 Northern Group going, so I don't think you will find yourself alone up there.

The main idea of local groups is that there are people available to share ideas, problems and maybe resources with. There may even be local G3 railways that you can visit or help out with.

Not all G3 railways hold formal Society GTG's. Some members feel that their railway is not large enough for a GTG but they might still be willing to invite one or two friends around for a running session. So you never quite know till you get together with the other "locals".   :)

Anyway - welcome to G3!

Regards,

Ian T
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

John Candy

Tailpiece : In spite of all the "problems" this kit was completed in time for Alan's Ampthill GTG three weeks ago.

It took twice as long to build as had been anticipated, in consequence of major surgery to the loco body (it was cut up and modified then put back together) and several modifications to the tender, which involved producing new whitemetal castings for the smokebox door, tender spring hangers and axlebox covers and 4 new (brass) tender steps of correct width/profile..

Thanks to Ted Sadler for the photo.....at the time it was taken, the loco was just 5 hours out of the paintshop!

It has since been lettered and numbered in the 1937 LMS style (yellow shaded red).
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.