• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

GWR "Pagoda" buildings

Started by John Candy, Aug 19 2015 07:25

« previous - next »

John Candy

I am going to make a standard design GWR corrugated iron pagoda building for one of my halts.

I have plenty of photos but need the basic dimensions.
Anyone have a plan?
I am pretty sure I have a plan somewhere in my thousands of mags (RM/MRJ/GWJ, etc.) but would rather not have to trawl through that lot (most of which are crated in the loft)!

It could become a resin Flexikit.

John.

P.S. If anyone has the "Ericplans" book of GWR structures I believe it is in that also Adrian Vaughan's book on GWR structures is rumoured to contain a plan.

P.P.S.  Have just found on Amazon a copy of Adrian V's book Great Western Architecture for GBP10 plus post and have ordered it : Would still appreciate any other drawings/details/info available.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

blagdon

John, I' been waiting for a kit or two of these for years.
I shall look what I can find in the way of drawings etc.

I think you may find there were more than one size; also some were open fronted (there's on at Denham Golf Course Halt)' and some hand doors (such as the preserved one a Didcot Railway Centre).

I'll send you some pics of the first one.

Ian the gauge '3' Pirate

John Candy

Well, Adrian Vaughan's "Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture" arrived today and a "mighty tome" it is ..... all 442 pages of it!

Every page is packed with photos and "official" GWR drawings of everything from Paddington station down to lowly trackside signs (and every type of building and structure twixt the two).

I love the Swindon drawing with the official title "Labouring class dwellings at Trebanos"!

The "pagoda" shelters were officially known as "Type 'A' Shelter"and the drawing shows every detail down to the sizes of the screws and bolts.

At just 10GBP plus post it was a real bargain (and it is in almost "new" condition .... just some fading of the dust cover).

A book every true GWR modeller should add to his/her collection.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Geoff Nicholls

Adrian Vaughan's book Railwaymen Politics and money is an excellent analysis of british railway history, though he's a bit rose-tinted when discussing the GWR
Amberley Books, who publish his signalman trilogy are having a '25% off 'sale on everything  this week.
Geoff.