• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

The cure for a thirsty Coal Tank!

Started by John Candy, Dec 19 2021 15:05

« previous - next »

John Candy

Now (with the fresh addition of a Coal Tank) having 5 LMS locos, they need their own watering hole, instead of filching from the GWR supply!

The answer is a 2000 gallon LNWR cylindrical tank.
The basic patterns (prepared from drawings in "LNWR Portrayed", a PECO publication which has been on my bookshelf for 40+ years) have been 3D printed.... It took 10 times longer to print than it took to me write the SCAD files!

I have not decided whether to make moulds and cast a few more (in resin) or to simply print more when/if  required.
The main components are in the photos attached (there are more details waiting in the print queue).

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

I have just uploaded the SCAD files to print the familiar LNWR water column.
The column is shown complete in the attached screenshots but, for ease of printing, there are separate files for the main pillar, the "cap" and the outlet spout.

You will find them at:
http://gauge3.info/openscad/LNWR_water_column_1.scad
http://gauge3.info/openscad/LNWR_water_column_2.scad
http://gauge3.info/openscad/LNWR_water_column_3.scad

UPDATE : March 2023
The 3D print directory and related files have been amended and moved to www.gauge3.info
All files are now supplied as .STL (not .SCAD)

The "bag", control rods, levers, etc. you can add from brass, etc.

The files for the LNWR 2000 gallon cylindrical water tank will be made available in due course.

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Candy

This what you have after printing the three SCAD files in the previous post.
The material is PLA and the Snapmaker A350 did its stuff.
The main pillar was printed vertically, without any need for temporary supports.

It remains to add the control rod and lever (brass) and the "bag" (I used shrink tubing for my GWR water cranes).

A spray coat of grey primer and some weathering will finish the job.

These columns are (were) 17ft high and look massive when placed by a loco.

John.

John Candy

The file for the drain cover (with brick surround) for the water column can be downloaded from

http://gauge3.info/openscad/LNWR_water_column_4.scad

The 3D print directory and related files have been amended and moved to www.gauge3.info

The drainage arrangement for the cylindrical water tank is different and will be released when the complete set of files for the 2000 gallon tank are made available for downloading. 

John.

John Candy

The drainage basin for the 2000 gallon cylindrical tank.

This is for a double outlet tank but can be easily adjusted for single arrangement.

John.

P.S. It is currently printing and is predicting a print time (on the fastest setting) of 15 hours 28 mins.

John Candy

In the end it took 14 hrs 30 mins to print!

I think I will use it as a pattern for a mould and cast extras in resin, rather than print more.

John.

John Candy

A quick and easy one!

Takes just 45 mins to print at medium resolution (would have taken just 24 if on the fast print setting)and gives you a ladder 310mm in length.

It may look flimsy but is far stronger than it looks.
PLA is a resilient plastic which can be distorted and will spring back to shape.
If you knock a brass etched ladder it will stay bent (or likely still have a bit of a kink when you straighten it).
Even if it were to break, at a few Pence each, you can keep a few spares in the drawer.

Download http://gauge3.info/openscad/ladder_for_signals_etc.scad

John.