• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

R/C Prairie Tank

Started by 753, Mar 10 2019 11:37

« previous - next »

I have received the Prairie tank from the J. Heaton's estate, problem is can't get the engine to turn over, my knowledge of R/C is limited.
When I turn on the loco, I get a hissing from the sound card, I get 6v from the battery input so the battery is charged, with the transmitter on the red led flashes then is stable which I assume means it's bound to the Rx. However, there is no input to the Rx batt/ rad pins, also no sign of binding led.

I would appreciate anyone who can shed some light on this issue!!

Mike

John Candy

What type of radio equipment is fitted and what brand is the ESC (speed controller) and sound card?
If you have only 6V from the batteries (measured at the terminals) that is not enough to power the loco.
It is likely to require at least 12V and preferably nearer 18V.

Regards,
John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John

I misread my meters scale it's 18v, the kit is Peter Spoerer's the ECS is Mac Five, the transmitter is Planet T5 and
receiver is Spectrum.

Mike

John Candy

I will check but I'm pretty sure the receiver is incompatible with the transmitter ..... it needs a Spectrum transmitter.

Ask Ashley to check he hasn't sent you the wrong transmitter ... it may be that he still has the Spectrum or has sent it to someone with a loco with a Planet receiver!

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John

I have just spoken to Ashley he say's it was the only transmitter left and assumed it went with the kit, but I think like you it's not the correct trans.
I think the best rout is to contact Steve Foster who I think will be able to sort the problem.
Thanks for your replies.

Mike

John Candy

Hope you get it easily sorted.
Spektrum and Planet work on different protocols so you definitely need a Spektrum Tx (Planet T5 is no longer produced but it may be possible to get a secondhand unit...possibly Ebay).

Regards,
John.

AshleyW

when i come back from my break, i'll see if julia can search out a spektrum, or get jims son to further look around- don't buy another just yet! may need to wait till jamie visits julia again. ash