• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Garden Design

Started by Clive_F, Mar 06 2022 12:21

« previous - next »

Clive_F

It's nice to combine hobbies and that's a major reason why I'm into Gauge 3 in it's garden setting. I had my first little patch to cultivate when I was five and gardening is something that I've loved ever since.

I am also a regular listener to "Gardener's Question Time" (BBC R4 2pm Sunday) and some of their panelists are professional garden designers. Even with my experience, I reckon that I would still either do some careful research or and maybe even seek help and advice of someone in the know if I were establishing a new garden.

It also seem to me that sometimes it pays to "design the garden to fit the railway" rather than doing it the other way round. The garden forms the natural visual backdrop to most of our Gauge 3  layouts (so we don't generally need to paint this on big sheets of plywood !). Therefore the plants in it should be carefully considered; and not always just for their appearance, remembering that plants are living, constantly changing things and we want to work with them, not be fighting them or just seeing them as a nuisance.

This is too big a topic for a single thread but here are things to consider:-

- the sizes of the plants themselves and especially of their leaves
- rate of growth, slow growing varieties less maintenance intensive
- evergreens rather than "deciduous" unless you like brushing leaves off the track!
- avoiding plants that exude sticky sap, drop seeds etc onto the rails
- colours, nothing too bright maybe but still forming an attractive background
- textures, no nasty thorns or prickles to catch visitors or you while you're doing maintenance!
- avoiding species that spread underground or seed themselves everywhere, popping up in the trackbed
  or undermining it.
- no plants with creepers or tendrils that can obstruct the permanent way
- no toxic plants for the safety of yourself, children or animals
- consider hedges or similar to screen visually things you don't want to see and maybe cut down noise for (or from) the neighbours
- have plants that smell nice,  they don't cost any extra!

And can I suggest that you get to know your local plant nursery.  Believe me, they will be only too happy to give you help and advice and really good deals on lovely fresh, locally grown plants perfect to suit your needs.

Get the garden right and it can really  enhance our excellent hobby.

Regards and keep safe,

Clive