• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

2-knowledge...

Started by cabbage, Jul 12 2019 11:29

« previous - next »

cabbage

John!
That is something I honestly had not thought of? One side is glued onto each of the pair of carriages. While this sets to perfection with the aid of SLA bricks applying pressure I will have to do some research as to how it would have worked and looked...

Regards

Ralph

Doddy

From a webpage I read yesterday, 93 Southern Region EMU's were damaged in WWII. And I can't find one single photo of one on the net.

Doddy

Although I did find this book:

Wartime Southern: Special Issue No.3 Evacuation, ARP and Enemy Action

By     Kevin Robertson

"You don't know what you don't know"

John Candy

I don't have that book and the best known photos of damaged emus are of 4-COR units at the bombed out Portsmouth Harbour station (they were stranded there for a few years until the pier on which the station stood could be repaired).

I remember (in the 1950's) occasionally travelling in 4-SUBs which had a window (or more) fitted with unpainted galvanized steel plate ... I assume it was a result of vandalism and not war damage). Many carriages in the 1950s had a dark yellow-brown stain around the window edges .... I thought this was accumulated brake dust, etc. but was later told it was glue residue from the ARP tape/netting.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Branch

Another disguise you may want to think about-if the prototype was fitted with roller blinds, and a lot were,  some of these may be down in strategic positions to good advantage?

John

cabbage

John,
Thankyou for your e-mail and picture. This looks like something that could be done.

regards

Ralph

John Candy

The picture I sent to Ralph cannot be posted here for copyright reasons but it shows a newly-built 1925 SR (Eastern Section) steel-panelled motor coach from a 3-SUB unit, built for the Orpington electrification.
All the quarterlights and droplights in the passenger compartments have the blinds pulled down fully.
My recollection from the 1950's of travelling in both timber-bodied and steel-panelled 3-SUBs (by then strengthened to 4-SUB) is that the blinds could be lowered to 3 positions, by engaging in notches cut into the window frames.
I am not sure whether the Bulleid steel units had blinds....I last travelled in a 4-SUB more than 50 years ago!
By the time I moved to the South Coast, 2-BIL units had replaced the 2-NOLs on the Ore to Eastbourne and Brighton services.

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

John Branch

OK, so the blinds are down, the lights are on, and who's sillhouette  do we see on the blind? Sherlock Holmes, WS Churchill, Marilyn Monroe?  That should take the viewers mind off the partition spacing?!

John

cabbage

Given the war time date that the loco is supposed to be in -who else but Jane....(?)

regards

ralph

John Candy

..... perhaps Marlene Dietrich as Lili Marleen "unter der Laterne"..... (special "blackout" light bulbs gave a blue light).

John

Doddy

Quote from: John Candy on Aug 12 2019 20:54
..... perhaps Marlene Dietrich as Lili Marleen "unter der Laterne"..... (special "blackout" light bulbs gave a blue light).

John

One in the window perhaps?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marlene_Dietrich_Caricature_by_Hans_Georg_Pfannm%C3%BCller_(1954).jpg
"You don't know what you don't know"

cabbage

After the frivolity - back to reality!
This shot shows the 6mm quadrant that forms the tumblehome at the base of the sides. You also the offset of the partitions to the windows.

Todays task is to install the other side and to prepare and clean up the steel channel prior to sifbronzing together...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

Last shot of the bodies before main work on the chassis commences. The shot shows them at Brassica to give you some idea of the size and skinnyness of them.

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

After "polite work" by Tim and myself on the half nut clamp for my big lathe (a sieg C2a) I could start producing wheels. The C2a is set for slicing and the C1 set for coning and flanging. The C1 is the best thing I ever bought and now after 16 years of use is only now starting to be replaced by the ypunger C2a.

The 10mm thick disc blanks where smoothed off and drilled to 8mm (my std axle) then face off to 8mm thick on the big lathe. The step cut was done on the C1. The gears and sprockets have been ordered from Messrs "Gears and Sprockets"! The order is eight of 12T mod 1 and 45T mod 1 spur gears and sixteen 16T sprockets. With one motor per bogie and a chain link between the axles this will give complete drive to the loco. The high gear ratio of 12:45 will produce a slow start but a fair top end on 50mm wheels.

An american friend and I have been discussing a novel use of yellow and blue leds...

Regards

Ralph

cabbage

I have just watched an episode of Foyles War.... And there at the end was the carriage that
I am trying to make!!! Seeing the doors open the windows go up and down answered such a lot.

regards

ralph

cabbage

Having spun a fair number of wheels to make good use of thinking time... This is how tje arcing from the shoes is going to work!

Two wheels on one side of each bogie are insulated from the axle. There are conductive rubbing strips to the steel wheels. A voltage passes down through one wheel, to the track, and then back up the other wheel. This voltage holds a reed relay "open". As the bogie moves along the track it passes over the ABS fishplate which joins the track pieces. The circuit is broken, the relay closes and some "inspired" RF signal is fed into a BCD decoder and this flashes blue and yellow leds hidden inside the false "shoe". A simple strobe setup would not look "real" -so a trio of backwards wired Schottsky chips will provide the required random signal.

Regards

Ralph