• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

3D Printed GWR Pannier Tank

Started by 753, Apr 04 2024 17:04

« previous - next »

Here is a prototype 3D resin printed G3 Pannier Tank, we printed as much as practically possible. Fine detail cannot be represented on the outside as resin is very brittle and would break of when handled, hence the detail in brass.

The engine needs a few tweaks and will come to life when painted.

Mike

P1030433A.jpg
P1030427A.jpg
P1030429A.jpg

keith Bristol

richardgreen

That's fantastic Mike, what a great job you've made of that. It's just amazing the expertise and sheer skills that are in Gauge 3 right here. Yet again you pull another engine from a hat! That alone is a talent!

Rich.

Thanks for the kind comments

The Pannier is complete, when painted who knows what materials the model is made from!

While is has been a interesting project using 3D printing I preferer traditional metal materials to build locos.

MikeP1030444A.jpgP1030446A.jpgP1030449A.jpg

IanT

Stunning results as usual Mike!

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Nick

QuoteWhile is has been a interesting project using 3D printing I preferer traditional metal materials to build locos.

That jives with me.

My first experiences with 3D printed parts were boiler and cab fittings in brass for the T3. They looked really good and I was very proud of them (still am). Sure, I could have made them myself, but somehow the idea of fabricating all those components, some of which would need up to 20 separate parts, just didn't appeal enough. But it's expensive so I will save it for when I need it.

With plastic it's more complicated. I am pleased with the wheel centres for the Precedent. They would have been hard to fabricate in that level of detail or expensive to cast. I'm not as concerned as some are about durability, after all, they are printed in basically the same material as Slaters' have been using for many years (injection moulded rather than printed, but chemically and mechanically much the same) and I haven't heard any complaints about that.

Load-bearing parts such as hornblocks and motion bracket really didn't work, as I have recorded elsewhere. Boiler fittings and backplate were huge time-savers, even though a little voice niggled at me to say "you could have made it, you know".

Ultimately it comes down to personal satisfaction, and the operative word is personal. I'm the last person to tell anyone how to conduct their hobby, because it is just that, a hobby. We each have to find the right balance. I haven't got it quite right yet but I feel that I'm somewhere near it. I wouldn't attempt to use large printed parts like the ones here, somehow that wouldn't feel right for me. But I will continue to use printed plastic for parts where I decide the final result would just take too long otherwise and won't ultimately detract from the good feeling of "I've done it myself".

Nick

Nick

I think it's a case of the right tool for the job, and a one-off model or multiples i.e. kits. The marriage of printed parts and metal ones clearly works as in the G6 Project. Given that each engine chosen to model throughs up different problems the builder has to decide what materials to use to suit each part.

The area that concerns me re printing is the small parts that stick out from the main structure that will be broken off during use. With the pannier I used 1/32in rivets push fitted to hold brass lamp and tool brackets to the printed body to make them robust to handling. If the main structure where metal they would be soldered and much stronger.

Where printing scores well is fine detail apart from rivets, small nut heads and complex shapes hither to just not modelled.
As I prefer to build models rather than run them, a day spent on CAD rather than on the lathe turning up parts is just not the same pleasure.

Mike

John Candy

Mike,

A very nice result .... if a little "late" and austere by comparison with your usual elegant (Edwardian) offerings.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.