• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Legs for Modules

Started by AndrewW, Feb 24 2013 15:05

« previous - next »

yamie1900

I have managed to build 5 modules so far my Dad Eric has also built 5, so in all we have 30 feet of boards. we have used differing idea's for the legs both seem to work. here's a link to some pictures

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xc5ntoopoqwqpx6/JPRDCzd5KD

the legs i used are from a famous 2 letter diy store and they are stanley junior saw horse

cabbage

ERRRMMM.....

This is a secure socket shell URL.

regards

ralph

yamie1900

Questions for you :-

What do you intend to do with them?

Do they meet the G3S floor to height measurement in the standard?

Are you able to transport them easily to a "meet" ?

My comments :

I have built 4 modules & have work in progress for a 5th for an associate who lives locally.
So that could be another 15 feet i.e. 45 feet.

No track has been laid (fixed down) on mine yet, as I am waiting for the collective will to emerge of how to create a bigger layout, (currently envious of German Spur II efforts in this respect).

At Barry on the TTR we had 90 feet of table top linear length. But if the collective wisdom should indicate we can connect them all together then we are half way there before we can equal the Barry effort.

What will 2014 unfold in this respect?

The quest continues........

Dave

IanT

Some nice looking Modules you and your Dad have built there Yamie!

In terms of getting to the TTR length (of 90ft) I currently have 24ft of modules built (but as yet untracked) so we already seem to be up to a "potential" 69ft between just three of us! I have also just received some new 'rail' from the Shop so can now get busy laying some track on them. I guess one of the good things about 'modules' is that you can bring them inside to work on them in the warm, a distinct advantage on days like today (it's pretty miserable outside!).

Dave has called for some "collective will" - so my two pennies worth is that I'm planning to provide some generic modules that would be ideal as "middle" sections for a TTR type layout.

I am assuming that at this stage of things, single line (signalled/token) working is the preferable design concept. So whilst my straight units will be mostly twin tracked, they will be configured as some kind of passing loop, maybe with some simple 'end' spurs. I may also build some  "Streckenmodule" – or 'Route' Modules' as the Spur II guys call them. Basically these are simple straight (single track - 450mm wide) modules, that are used to interconnect the more scenic sections.  Eventually, I hope to also build some simple single track curved sections but they are not a high priority for me.

So based on my input, we probably need two 'end' (terminal) designs. Any thoughts??

Regards,

IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Upham Market will be a terminal based on a light railway theme.

The exit or matching track to another module would probably need to be of the ilk of a linking straight that can be clamped in alignment to bridge the gap as my fiddle yard on the self contained configuration will be offset to the operating side behind the industry building on the viewing side, but not at Connect 3 position. I have thought about this long & hard but cannot come up with anything better under the circumstances.

My track will be GRS brass.

If for the first build of multi-G3S modules between us we agreed not to fit any track but to keep the top face plain,
then I would be happy to bring along loads of pre-cut GRS track & points to fit in the available space & play trains.

Other non-module makers who would like to play & contribute would be invited to bring along dressings for the layout & rolling stock / locos.

Just like we did at Barry, but a slightly different layout & this time on proper modular baseboards not on 15 x 6feet long church hall tables.

The next phase should be being planned now if we are to make something happen in the not too distant future during 2014. AGM perhaps?

Dave

IanT

I think we should push on and get some track laid Dave.

I understand your layout issue but I don't think it has to be a problem in practice. After all, for now we could just 'G' clamp a module to your fiddle yard to make a track connection. If we used one of my planned twin-track modules, then the offset at the front edge wouldn't be so great I would guess and we can switch any trains onto the front track further down the line. This may not be ideal but I don't see why it wouldn't work, certainly in the short term.

This way you get a workable layout at home (i.e. most of the time) and for the odd occasion when we want to interconnect, we use some simple clamps and put up with some staggering of the front edge. Doesn't sound like a big deal. Do you have any dimensions for where your 'exit' track centre-line might be in relation to the normal front edge?

Regards,

IanT

yamie1900

Quote from: Cabbage on Oct 15 2013 20:37
ERRRMMM.....

This is a secure socket shell URL.

regards

ralph

I'am not sure what this means have i made an error?
if so i appollogise

regards yamie 1900
regards Dave

yamie1900

Quote from: 454 on Oct 16 2013 08:25
yamie1900

Questions for you :-

What do you intend to do with them?

Do they meet the G3S floor to height measurement in the standard?

Are you able to transport them easily to a "meet" ?

My comments :

I have built 4 modules & have work in progress for a 5th for an associate who lives locally.
So that could be another 15 feet i.e. 45 feet.

No track has been laid (fixed down) on mine yet, as I am waiting for the collective will to emerge of how to create a bigger layout, (currently envious of German Spur II efforts in this respect).

At Barry on the TTR we had 90 feet of table top linear length. But if the collective wisdom should indicate we can connect them all together then we are half way there before we can equal the Barry effort.

What will 2014 unfold in this respect?

The quest continues........

Dave

Our plan is for a single track to run through our 10 modules, so we can connect to others. We are looking at modling mangapps railway, there on the web, but the railway and museum is close to Burnham on Crouch.

they will meet the G3s height regulation.

WE hope to be able to just use our 2 cars for transportation.

regards yamie1900
Dave

cabbage

Yamie,

A secure socket layer is a problem for people not using windows or running mobiles!
However I can see the pictures on "the big Mac" in the living room.

Looking good!

regards

ralph

IanT

Hallo Dave (Yamie)

I'd heard of Mangapps somewhere but couldn't really recall any details to be honest. So I 'Bing'd' them (it's like Google) and had a look at their website. They have a very nice video about the place - and it's a "Jolly" good one too (pun intended)

I can also see why this might make a good place to model from a modular point of view - the track work is simple and they have some interesting small buildings and stock (particularly GER). There is a photo on the home page that shows the station area and the left-hand side is compact and could be done in not too much space. So - I'll look forward to seeing your progress!

Regards,

IanT

John Candy

Mangapps have buildings taken from the MSLR (Mid-Suffolk Light Railway) which was closed by BR in 1952.

It ran from Haughley to Laxfield.

See www.mslr.org.uk which has some history and covers the preservation efforts at Brockford station (I am webmaster to the MSLR).

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

blagdon

John, I opened the MSLR website, and blow me down, thought it was our Gauge '3' webpage with different colours! Seriously though, it looks a very interesting site to explore when I've read to-nights G3 Forum posts.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate