• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Build of the LSWR G6 Project Loco

Started by Jon Nazareth, Apr 20 2024 10:22

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

On a separate G3 forum, I brought up the topic of sideplay on axles.  On my G6, at the present, the sideply is 4mm in total on all three axles.  Someone suggested very little play on the first and third axles but but up to 3mm total on axle number two.  My problem is that if I have up to 3mm total sideplay on any axle, I have to pack out the brake hangers to stop them fouling the wheels.  Please see photo below.  Can I ask, how have other builders of this G6 coped with this problem and what sideplay have they allowed?  I believe that ten of these kits were sold and I believe that some folk are far more advanced in their build than I am.

Jon

John Candy

Good evening Jon,

I do not have a G6 kit but on my locos, I restrict lateral movement on outer axles to approx. 1mm by packing (in case of Slaters axles) with 6mm stainless washers.

The inner axles I allow around 3mm movement which is usually sufficient for curves down to 10ft radius (certainly on a short wheelbase).

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.