Author Topic: Walsall Model Industries : New kit delivered.  (Read 2018 times)

Offline John Candy

Walsall Model Industries : New kit delivered.
« on: Jun 03 2009 19:14 »
Today the kit for the GWR diagram W8 cattle wagon arrived in the post.
Upon opening the neatly boxed package, my first impressions were of a kit etched to an extremely high standard with packaged fittings both cast and turned.
The buffers are particularly substantial being of the GWR self-contained pattern (supplied ready-assembed) with turned brass guides and steel buffers.
The step-by-step assembly instructions are very thorough and easy-to-follow, with plenty of well-drawn sketches.

I can see one area which will benefit from some modification to enhance certain details (always a problem with brass etchings where the depth of relief is limited by the process) but then I am notoriously fussy!

The kit is supplied with compensated suspension employing a brass 'rocking' frame and inside bearings. This arrangement is common in the smaller scales but has anyone here used it in a G3 application and, if so, is it proving satisfactory?

I am just adding the finishing touches to a 'Wagon & Carriage Works' Great Central van (which has involved major surgery and has taken twice as long to construct as the more complex LNER refrigerator van from the same stable) so a start on the cattle wagon will have to wait a week or two.

As with several of my recent construction projects, it will be written up in detail as I proceed, providing plenty of useful information on extra detailing and improvements, with a view to appearing in due course both on the website and in print for the benefit of Society Members.

A note from Roger Crowe came with the kit, telling me that the first etches for the GWR shunters truck have been delivered and he is about to do the 'test build'.

Other new items from Walsall are the GWR Y8 fruit van, with the S2 fish van arriving before too long.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline dickallan

Re: Walsall Model Industries : New kit delivered.
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30 2010 10:33 »
Hi John, I have just completed a walsall cattle wagon and was delighted with the excellent if expensive kit. I was also impressed with the compensation unit, so much so thet I bought another to fit on my toad guards van where it also works its magic. They will sell the compensation kit separately for £5 plus postage
Dick Allan

Offline John Candy

« Reply #2 on: Aug 30 2010 10:43 »
Hi Dick,

I have to confess that my kit remains untouched in its box.
Have been very busy with other projects (principally pattern-making for a well known producer of resin wagon kits and finishing a number of part-built loco kits) but am glad to know the Walsall kit builds into a good model.
Useful that the compensation unit is available separately.

Any pitfalls to avoid or did it go together "like a dream"?
Do you have a photo?

Regards,
John.
« Last Edit: Nov 30 2018 19:11 by John Candy »
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline dickallan

« Reply #3 on: Sep 01 2010 10:30 »
with one exception it did go together like a dream. The exception was the wheels as the axles had been machined to give a back to back of only 56.5 mm! I made new axles to get the required 58mm. One other small point, the model is improved by marking up some planks on thin plywood and using this to add some flooring. This looks good and hides the cut-outs in the brass floor. Dick Allan

Offline John Candy

« Reply #4 on: Sep 01 2010 11:25 »
That's interesting. My kit was not supplied with wheels, I have a set of Slaters to use with it.
Presume your wheels were Walsall's own effort?

Plywood floor sounds a good idea, will also reduce any "tinny" resonance from the brass body.

Offline Sleeper Agent

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30 2018 10:23 »
Well after an enthusiasm boost from the Warley expo I thought it was time to de-box my two cattle wagons. 

Considering how little soldering i've done in the smaller scales and the mediocre results I managed i'm quite pleased with how these have come together. Now I get how the rocking suspension is supposed to work in theory but i'm a little confused in some of remaining areas to go. The provided axle boxes can not fit into the master frame but there are spare W-iron units, am I supposed to lob off the originals to install this arrangement or simply cut out square holes for the axle box castings to fit into?
Also the large circle holes have also got me a bit miffed. The instruction says to plug them with 'tapered plugs or similar' (not provided) but i've never come across this type of joiner before and am surprised by the ones on the solebars due to their visibility. Does anyone have any of photos of these kits in constructed form?

Steve

Offline Sleeper Agent

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30 2018 16:57 »
Ah with the axles I was getting mixed up. Realising there were duplicate systems I decided to take a third option in that the attached W-irons have been retained in order to keep the set wheelbase spacing and as a bonus the alternatives can go into another project :) In order to use the other axle box casting with them I've simply Junior hacksawed away the pin point area in the middle.

All four have now been sawed away so the last task is to drill small holes so that the axle box retaining strips can be nut+bolted on after painting.

Still if anyone can post some photos of their finished GWR wagons it would be handy for guidance as I can't seem to find any online (the small one on Walsall Model's site not withstanding).

Offline keith Bristol

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30 2018 17:32 »
I WILL LOOK LATER

Offline John Candy

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30 2018 17:39 »

The above photo was sent to me by Dick Allan in September 2010, just after he had completed the model.
In a later message he sent more suggestions (can't find that message after this length of time) one of which was to fit a false floor above the lowest vent slot, so the heads of the cows can be seen (I guess they were not G3 cows)!

My own kit arrived in June 2009 and still sits, untouched, on a shelf!

http://g3forum.org.uk/index.php/topic,101.msg282.html#msg282

Regards,
John.