• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

BA Sockets

Started by Jon Nazareth, Apr 06 2013 15:06

« previous - next »

Jon Nazareth

Does anyone know of a supplier of BA sockets especially 14 BA.  I thought that if I placed a 14 BA nut into a socket, I would have more chance of being able to thread them onto the bolt.  This would also save me the effort of crawling about on the floor looking for lost nuts!

Regards
Jon

AllWight

try squires or tools 2000 or amberley services

mark

MikeWilliams

Be careful because some of the nice nut spinners as they are called are sold as BA but are actually metric.  They work welll enough for most sizes but I find the ones supposed to be 14BA are particularly slack and you can get a nut jammed in it diagonally.

No, I don't know a source of proper 14BA sockets.

Mike

Andy B

EKP supplies go down to 12BA - ekpsupplies.com

I got my 14BA spinner from Eileens Emporium only a couple of years ago, but it was no longer listed last time I looked. Maybe worth contacting them to see if they are planning to re-stock.

MJ Engineering list a box spanner set that goes down to 14BA - www.mjeng.co.uk

Ultrascale list a 14BA spinner, that looks like it's made from a socket-head bolt, drilled through and mounted in a bit of brass - [urlhttps://www.ultrascale.com/eshop/products/view/CAT013/525]www.ultrascale.com[/url]

As Mike says, best check with any of them what the actual A/F size is.

Andy

Jon Nazareth

Thank you for the replies.
I've looked at Reeves and drew a blank which surprised me.  Squires have a 2mm nut spinner which they say will accept a 14BA nut.  Amberley Services list a 14 BA socket and I'm waiting to hear back from them.  I'll check the others and let you all know the final outcome.

Jon

Jon Nazareth

Taking inspiration from Andy's mention of Ultrascale's version of a socket-head bolt fixed in a length of brass, I've made one myself!  It took a little while but I managed to find a grub screw with the correct size socket which I have now fixed into a piece of round bar.  Amberley Services did get back to me to say that they have a 14BA nut spinner @ £7.50 plus £2.50 postage.  His number is 07802271081 if anyone wants to buy it.

Thanks Andy for the above mention

Regards
Jon