• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Parts for machine tools - supplier needed

Started by MikeWilliams, Apr 14 2013 18:33

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

I have an elderly Meddings MK2 pillar drill which I aquired a couple of years ago but only recently started to assemble, and found I have a bit missing.  The head is held to the pillar by a special bolt with handle at one end and two tubular collars machined to fit snuggly around the pillar, and I have the whole lot missing.

I tried Home and Workshop in Sidcup without success.  Any suggestions please for sources of parts for old machnes?

Although its old, I already have a new spindle and high quality chuck, plus a 3-phase inverter, so don't want to give up now, even though a smaller new machine might well be cheaper overall.

Thanks,

Mike

John Candy

Presume you have tried Meddings?
They have a website at www.meddings.co.uk and there is an enquiry form on the "Contact Us" page http://www.meddings.co.uk/contact-us/

Possible they could have some old parts in their warehouse.
<quote>Meddings design, manufacture and distribute a range of drill press and tapping machines to the world.</quote>

Could try this one http://www.gpsengineering.co.uk/stock-and-spares-list

John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

IanT

Hi Mike,

I suspect whether you can find this part will very much depend on the age of the drill but I like old machines (and their quality) and they are well worth preserving if at all possible.

There are a couple of ways of solving this. The best way would be to make up the two collars (tubes) you mention, which will be normally be machined on one side with a radius to match the diameter of the column. The bolt running through the centre of these collars closes the gap between them and pinches the column tightly enough to hold it securely. The bolt may (or may not) also have a radius removed, although if it has the bolt usually has to be in place before the head is placed on the column (depends on thickness of bolt used etc.) so with luck this will not be required.

Which leads to the less perfect solution. You will need to get either a piece of (preferably thick) tubing the same OD diameter as the 'hole' bore (or drill/bore a length of suitable bar stock) and which is long enough to pass completely through the hole. This is cut in half and then each piece is cut again on one end. The cut should be at an angle (about 45 degrees) and not across the whole thickness - start the cut at just over half the diameter of the collar. These two pieces (with a bolt through) will probably be sufficient to hold the head - although a little filing with a round-back file will help to improve things even more.  Some felt marker on the collar ends will help show you where the column is meeting the collars (or not) and what needs easing to get a good fit. I think you will find it easier to do this than it is to explain it.

If you don't have a suitable fitted bolt (a large coach-bolt? ) a length of studding (cut to length) with a nut Loctite'd on one end and a threaded commercial 'locking' handle (easily available) on the other end will complete the item. You will need to figure out how far the column protrudes into the hole to work out what diameter bolt can be used.  Drill bits can be used as gauges for this.

I hope this suggestion helps.

Regards,  IanT
Nothing's ever Easy - At least the first time around.

Andy B

There is a manual and parts list here.

Does this match your machine, and can you identify the needed part numbers off it?
May help you to identify part numbers to search for, or others to see what might be involved in making some bits for you.

Andy

MikeWilliams

Thanks Andy.  Its parts 74, 75, 76 and 77 in the diagram, and I think there must be some sort of nut on the other side too, but mine is an older machine looking like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Meddings-3-Phase-Pillar-Drill-/230953109271?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item35c5e0c717

Of course, the clamp assembly might well be the same.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Apologies to John and Ian - I didn't spot your posts at first.

Thanks very much - I'll try GPS who I'd not come across and I guess making it is an option, but its a lot of work to get the wall thickness reasonable, lengths correct so it just pinches up etc, so for me that's a last resort.

Mike

MikeWilliams

Thank you Charles.  Very kind of you.  I have received a similar offer and they are being made, but thanks very much.

Mike