• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Small locomotive driving wheels

Started by Kelvin White, Apr 07 2013 10:42

« previous - next »

Kelvin White

I'm evaluating modelling in G3 a small rural steam tramway - turn of the century - 1895-1905. Think
Wantage Tramway or Oxford & Aylesbury Tramway (Brill branch) when they were still using the Aveling
Porter engines.

I'm looking for small locomotive driving wheels Max 3ft 6in,   3ft 0in would be more useful.

What is available in Gauge 3

Are any of the Slaters G1 wheels suitable for G3?

Thanks

Kelvin

Derek King

Kelvin,

Slater's produce a 3ft 2in 10 spoke driving wheel set for Mike William's Manning Wardle kit. They do have the distinctive MW double boss, but if this does not bother you the reference number is G3838MW. I believe they cost £43.50/set, but Slater's still do not appear to have their gauge 3 range on their web-site!.

Derek.

MikeWilliams

John Candy helpfully listed all the Slaters G3 wheels here

http://www.g3madesimple.org.uk/slaters_wheels.pdf

but as Derek says, at present it seems they only have the Manning Wardle in the size you want.  Somebody was going to have wheels made for a BR 03 diesel - but not sure whether it ever happened?  There are plenty of cast iron wheels in the sizes you want, if you can get somebody to turn them for you.

I suspect Gauge 1 wheels will probably work fine when re-gauged, but as they will not conform to G3 standards its a bit of a risk.

Mike

Andy B

Mark Wood is doing the 03 wheels.

Andy

Traininvain

He's also doing the matching jackshaft cranks

Ian

MikeWilliams

Are you sure they are for the same kit?  I thought its whole purpose was to encourage people into G3 at low cost?

Mike