• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Handrail knobs

Started by MikeWilliams, Apr 03 2013 15:22

« previous - next »

MikeWilliams

May I draw attention to a table I started a couple of years back

http://gauge3.org.uk/hrailtable.html

This tried to show what handrail knobs are available so that we can buy the ones best suited to our needs.

Since then Walsall have produced some which i suspect maybe nearer to scale and there may well be others I don't know about.  If you have any commercial handrail knobs please, please measure them and send details to our Webmaster for the table.

Also, if you have dimensions of prototype knobs that woud also be useful as I am well aware that the knobs I know about are all from the Victorian era.

Thanks,

Mike

blagdon

Mike, I usd some of the Walsall Models handrail knobs on Anne's 'Plastic Bugger' (GRS Pannier); they look okay.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

MikeWilliams

Any chance you could run a pair of calipers over them Ian?

Mike

midnight miller

Hello All

Regarding hand rail knobs , the prototype vary enormously . On 12" to the FT scale I have handled , quarry hunslet components and they are about 25 to 30 % larger than the ones fitted to Tornado the new A1 and a completely diffrent shape .

John

Kalinowski

RE Hand rail dimensions on locomotives.

I visited the Bluebell this week and took the opportunity to measure hand rails on locos that I could reach easily without a step ladder!!

One and a quarter inch diameter:

Terrier 0-6-0 T
O1 class SER 0-6-0
Adams radial tank
North London tank

One and half inch diameter:

GWR 4-4-0 tender loco
BR Standard 4 2-6-4 T

Given that one sixteenth inch diameter wire is readily available this is slightly too large (7 thous) for the older Victorian locos and slightly too small (4 thous)  for the more modern types.

Regards Peter

Jon Nazareth

Hello Everyone

I've just measured my GRS FG260 and have come up with slightly different dimensions.  The ball is 3.1, handrail hole is 1.41, base 3.1, 5.24 long and there is a parallel stem.  I also have a set of Walsall and they are, the ball is 2.79, handrail hole is 1.5, 4.12 long, 2.9 base and the stem is parallel.  I bought them for a wooden loco tender that I've just finished building but in the end, I didn't use any of them.  The RGS I thought looked too big all around but the Walsall ones are fine and I will save them for my Manning Wardle.  I know we weren't talking about transfers but, does anyone know if there is anything out there that could be interpreted as ' Engine Tender'?  I need something like this for the sides of my wooden tender.

Regards
Jon

MikeWilliams

If these sizes can be added to the table, then it becomes a useful reference document.  Err, I guess that comes down to more work for you John - sorry!

Mike