Author Topic: Tunnelling  (Read 4600 times)

Offline Peaky 556

Re: Tunnelling
« Reply #30 on: Aug 14 2020 22:31 »
Hello Mike, yes two lengths of steel rebar poking out about 3”.  The slab thickness varies quite a bit, due to some randomness in my digging and being lazy about going back to fill in and compress some mud in the deeper bits that are only noticed after bashing in the levelling pegs.  It tends to be in the 2.5” to 4” range.
Thank you,
Tim
Facebook.com/AppleTreeRailway/

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #31 on: Aug 15 2020 10:08 »
Thank you.  I'll be digging the ground level part of my line fairly soon an when you work out the quantity of concrete its quite frightening - more than mixing on a board with a shovel as I'd hoped!

Mike

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #32 on: Aug 15 2020 21:38 »
Yes Mike, huge quantities of ballast and cement powder seem to shrink down to concrete that fills next to no space.  I would beg/buy/borrow a mixer if you have more than a few feet to do.  That 11-foot length of my trackbed was filled today, consuming over 10 loads in my mixer.  Cost wise it’s not very much, mine was less than about £20 in materials, but still a lot of hard work even with a mixer!  I counted over 200 shovels-full!
Thank you,
Tim

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #33 on: Aug 16 2020 20:07 »
Now having a downpour and I’m pleased to say the rain is running away from the tunnel! 

Thank you,
Tim

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #34 on: Nov 15 2020 18:01 »
I have decided the wait is long enough and the tunnel portal has started construction with a brick arch, at the near end of that concrete bed you see in the previous photo.  When I have some more ballast (if B&Q is open!) I shall concrete pour and post a photo.
Thank you,
Tim