Author Topic: Cambridgeshire Progress Report  (Read 29198 times)

Offline John Candy

Re: Cambridgeshire Progress Report
« Reply #150 on: Aug 25 2016 10:29 »
Just the glazing now to be added, when the paint has hardened.

John
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #151 on: Jul 08 2017 13:16 »
Just to prove that work on my line has not been abandoned (although recent progress has been sporadic) here are a few photos of the tunnel portals installed this week. The short tunnels pass under the high level line just beyond the southern end of the long viaduct.

Following my usual methods, the parts are cast from resin and are heavy!

The approach from main junction station end has staggered portals (the high level line crosses the main line diagonally) an arrangement which is used on British lines, although was never common.

The tunnel "liners" still need to be added, as well as the enclosing "earthworks" (and the rampant ivy and other detritus need clearing away)!

Other works to be completed before any serious "running" can take place are the pneumatic installation to operate the pointwork (about half the pipework has been installed so far....there are around 45 actuators which have been fitted) and the turntable which is now in situ (courtesy of Roger "bolingbroke") but needs the operating parts to be finished off.

John.

My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Offline John Candy

Photo : Mark amidst the devastation!

After a Summer of family "disruptions", which led to cancellation of previous arrangements, I finally (having been spurred on by Mark Thatcher) got around to attacking the overgrown trees and shrubs which had all but buried the tracks.

Armed with chainsaw, bow saw and tree loppers, Mark got stuck in, furiously attacking and felling offending foliage, while I cleared up the debris. Still a lot to be done but Mark has threatened to return in a week or so and continue the massacre!

Current plan is to have a "Grand Opening" in the late Spring (only 8 years late!) and another GTG later in the Summer. There will be at least one "proving" session before the inauguration to ensure the complex layout and systems are working properly.

The "Grand Opening" will be by invitation (buffet, drinks, music...probably live.... included) with a guest to make a speech and "cut the tape" but numbers will have to be limited since it is 16 years since we retired and sold our hotel and we are now out of practice in catering for large numbers! Fortunately, neighbours have already volunteered to help... including catering and providing the live music.

Nearer the time, when dates have been "firmed up", I will invite members to apply for invitations.

John.

Offline John Candy

« Reply #153 on: Jul 27 2019 10:39 »
Ralph's message concerning the state of his track, led me to reflect upon the sad state of my own!

The attached cctv shot shows part of the line during a downpour this morning.
The part visible is relatively clear but much of the unseen remainder (about 75 percent) is under ivy, fallen leaves and is currently being bombarded by falling walnuts and conkers!

A combination of unsuitable weather, age/health and Monkton Priors (more of which in a moment) has meant very little has been done to the track for the past 3 years. Apart from the mess which needs clearing up, the 50+ pneumatic point motors still need connecting to the three signalling panels. The platforms (which have endured three hot summers) need quite a bit of repair work which adds to the problems.

Overall, my original expectation was to have a working railway by 2011 but 2020 may now seem over-optimistic!

Monkton Priors : Nothing has happened for almost two years (other than the delivery of the fiddle yard boards a little over a year ago) since nobody is willing/able to come and assist with the work (at least two are needed to handle the smaller boards and three for the larger boards). The work done represents a huge investment of time and money and it is all at risk of going to waste. 

John.

P.S. A couple of more cctv images taken this morning, showing the main terminus .... the second is the area overhung by a walnut tree and the platforms now showing signs of distress.

Offline MikeWilliams

« Reply #154 on: Jul 27 2019 12:17 »
Very sorry to see this John.  With 95% of the work done it would be so nice to see it actually run.  Personally, I think you need to think of yourself for a while and do your railway whilst the weather is nice.

Mike

Offline Doddy

« Reply #155 on: Jul 27 2019 13:21 »
A combination of unsuitable weather, age/health and Monkton Priors
Dear John, et al . . .

Age and Health I can sympathise with. Having just returned from the opticians with bad news I feel it more than ever. Time to have a thin out of the railway stuff.

Dan Jeavons and Bexhill ME bodyshells for 5" gauge diesels Classes 33, 35, 40, 42, 45, 52 and 73 going up on Ebay tonight.

Bob
"You don't know what you don't know"

Offline Peaky 556

« Reply #156 on: Jul 28 2019 15:10 »
John,
Re Monkton Priors, is there any scope to reduce the size of the larger boards, in the interests of handleability/portability?
Tim

Offline John Candy

« Reply #157 on: Jul 28 2019 16:40 »
Tim,
The two largest boards are 6ft in length and were made that size to accommodate crossovers ..... it would have been unwise to have dissected pointwork to fit smaller boards.
It would be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to now reconfigure the boards without damaging the trackwork.
Regards,
John.