• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Recycled Plastic Board....Have You Had Any Problems?

Started by John Candy, Sep 16 2013 10:26

« previous - next »

LankyTank

Guys

The 'up & coming' product (like, it's been around for quite a while) for outdoor G1 layouts is Hardie Backer board, used by the professionals when they build wet rooms, it's what appears to be a 'cement' based product, available in 4' x 2' x about 1/2" thick (12mm if i'm correct) sheets at about a tenner a go (if you shop carefully i.e. don't go to the big orange shed).

You can soak it, burn it, freeze it etc. etc, cutting is achieved by 'scribe & snap' or use a grinding disk if you want fancy shapes (anything other that a straight edge) - haven't used it myself (YET) but have seen it used in anger, I've visited one layout in the heart of the Derbyshire Dales (& accompanying rain/snow) & one within 100 metres of the North Sea coast in the North East (we should know how wet/salty & blowy & bl**dy cold that can be)  - when I get round to going outdoors it's number one on my list of 'layout' board (not even going to look at anything else).

Just my tuppenny worth & no connection with the product, apart from a satisfied observer & future customer.

HTH

Baz

jamiepage

Have used Hardie Backer board for years, after becoming fed-up with de-laminating so-called marine ply. Would thoroughly recommend it. (As used on Southurst Railway (NG) and Southurst Extension Railway-Gauge 3)

Robert. 492.

Peaky 556

Quote from: 492 on Nov 02 2015 22:46
Have used Hardie Backer board for years, after becoming fed-up with de-laminating so-called marine ply. Would thoroughly recommend it. (As used on Southurst Railway (NG) and Southurst Extension Railway-Gauge 3)

Robert. 492.
Hello Robert, and I trust all is still well with your railways on the weatherproof front?  Reason for asking is I'm thinking of using this material suspended over joists in the station area of my railway.  Can I also ask how you support your trackbeds and whether it copes with being stood upon?
Thanks, Tim

MikeWilliams

I was just googling this subject when your post came through Tim.  I would also like to ask Robert whether he uses 6mm or 12mm Hardie board - and I guess that will be relevant to Tim's question too.

Mike 

Just seen this post. Don't know how I missed it. I have been happy with the 1/2 inch (12mm in Eurospeak) Hardie board for years, but recently I have noticed that board that has been out for well over 10 years, is just starting to delaminate in places, but is still perfectly usable.

I support the board on angle iron with fairly frequent cross-pieces, or on concrete lintels built up with parapets, again with fairly frequent crosspieces. 

If the crosspieces are more than a very few inches apart, I would not risk standing on it as it is quite brittle.

I still think that it is an effective weather-proof base for track.

Hope this is of some hope, but ask me if I you would like me to discuss in more detail.

Robert. 492.

Peaky 556

Thanks Robert, good to hear it's lasting well. 

I'm guessing Hardie board is the modern equivalent of the old fashioned cemented-asbestos corrugated roofing.

If my surveying has worked properly, and subsequent building work (!) then my station area of about 3' wide should be pretty well level, so to avoid puddling on this cement board I'm thinking of drilling some drainage holes.  Support beneath might only be timbers about 18" apart, so I won't plan on walking about on it except above the beams!

Once a trackwork is in place and satisfactory I would probably ballast the plastic GRS sleepers with a bird grit and cement mixture, which I guess would bond well.  Platform creation is a challenge for another day!

Regards,
Tim

Peaky 556

Enter another contender for the durable and rigid outdoor baseboard stakes!
This one is made of recycled plastics, is 19mm thick and has hard skins over a slightly porous looking matrix.
Its on offer at Amari plastics at the moment as it's going out of fashion apparently.  The price I obtained for a batch of five 8'x4' sheets, delivered, was £300 inclusive.
This makes it about half the price of Filcris doesn't it?

Rgds, Tim

John Candy

Tim,
It looks to be identical to the original batches of board I obtained from Filcris (2013/14).
I was told the company making it went bust and Filcris subsequently supplied a much darker (almost black) board which has a higher core density.
Current cost of a single Filcris 8x4 is 97+GBP (plus 24GBP delivery).
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

Peaky 556

Here's my photo again, for what it's worth.  More of a reminder to me for when I make my final selection.
Tim

Peaky 556

Further to recent mentions of Hardie Cement Backerboard, I've now found a supplier in Derby called Tile Choice, and they supply these 800x1200x12mm boards at £12 each, which I thought pretty reasonable.  It's the first time I've handled them, and they do seem pretty robust (and heavy). 

I've also searched Wickes for suitable boards, but their equivalent of the Hardie Backer costs £17 a throw.  Wickes also do an interesting foam-cored board for tile backing; it's thinner at 10mm and has hard textured skins, reasonably rigid too.  This costs £8 and is pictured below:

I think I'm going to use the Hardie Backerboard though.
Tim

Peaky 556

I forgot to mention that Tile Choice had a small sample of Hardie Backerboard sealed into a Perspex container with water.  It had been in there since 2003, and appeared to be in perfect condition.  Tim

Andy B

Tim,
Is that a special in-store promotion?
According to their website the 12mm boards are £13.99 and the 6mm boards £12.99
https://www.tilechoice.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=backer+board

Andy

Peaky 556

Andy, well, not as far as I know, because I asked him to check the price of the 12mm stuff, thinking it sounded a bit too good.
Maybe now's the time to buy!p

Peaky 556

Mystery solved, Tile Choice have a VAT-free sale on, ending in 4.5 days.
I'm heading out tomorrow!
Tim