• Welcome to The Forum for Gauge 3 Model Trains.

The Gauge 3 Society       2.1/2 inch Gauge Association       Cookies and privacy HOW TO JOIN: to request forum membership please click here

Gauge 3 Society members must be logged in to view the Society section
  G3 Clubroom

Welcome to the G3 Clubroom. This is the friendly online forum where members share ideas and inspiration, suggestions and advice, modelling tips, pictures and drawings, and general chat about our fine hobby of Gauge 3 railway modelling. A warm welcome, and enjoy your visit here today.

Size of turnouts

Started by Kelvin White, Oct 18 2013 17:58

« previous - next »

Kelvin White

The purge of the Gauge 1 continues .....I'm thinking about purchasing Cliff Barker track.

The size of the turnouts will be an important factor

Can somebody please advise, how long is a Cliff Barker 3000 and 4500 point  - from tip of the blade to 2 sleepers past the point of the crossing.

Thanks

Kelvin White

John Candy

I am away from home at present so cannot take measurements for you but at http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/gauge3products.html there are lengths given for all the G3 turnouts sold by Cliff.

Regards,
John.
My fellow Members, ask not what your Society can do for you, ask what you can do for your Society.

blagdon

Kelvin, hello again.

I have just measured the lengthof a photocopy of one of Cliff Barker's 14' 9'' turnouts; came out at 34 1/2 inches (875 mm). I can also report that my GWR '2021' is able to propel its (GRS) auto trailer through a cross over consisting of two of the above without buffer locking.

Ian the Gauge '3' Pirate

cabbage

Kelvin,

According to the one I have pinned to the board for construction at the moment -it is 900mm long by 200mm wide. All mine are 4500mm radius. CB's points are not hard to construct. I prefer to use "plumbers pipe weld" rather than MEK to assemble it with as it can be "dobbed" at the joints and you can see it ooze out evenly. The hard part is physically making the point from two lengths of rail. I cheat and cut a triangular piece of brass and then solder the rails to THAT rather than to each other. Then a simple pass on the edge with the flat of a grindstone gives the angle required. To fill in the frog gap I use Isopon P40 fibre glass repair paste from B+Q.

regards

ralph