Author Topic: LBSC S160 US Austerity  (Read 1774 times)

Offline mfslater

LBSC S160 US Austerity
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:03:12 AM »
Can anyone point me in the direction of a source of castings for this loco? I am thinking, in particular, of D&C wheel castings and cylinders although the latter are of secondary importance.

Best regards

Martin F. Slater

Offline MikeWilliams

Re: LBSC S160 US Austerity
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 03:37:30 PM »
Martin,

I know absolutely nothing about these engines, but the N2.5GA used to list wheel castings for "US Austerity".  Listed as 2.5in diameter with 13 spokes, there are three patterns (numbered US5, US6 and US7) for leading, intermediate and trailing axles.  BUT, I have no idea whether that is the same engine as yours?

Mike

Offline cabbage

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 04:58:24 PM »
I have a listing for an LBSC design called "US Austerity USATC S160" which is a 2-8-0 configuration which uses the same casting as the ones stated by Mike. So it should be the same loco.

regards

ralph

Offline Baggo

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »
Martin,

The N25GA can supply the wheel and cylinder castings for the S160 plus a few other castings as well. You need to contact Alan Gibbs who is our castings officer:

thecastingservice at hotmail dot co dot uk (replace at and dot with the usual symbols)

John
Member of North West Leicestershire SME
Secretary National 2½" Gauge Association

Offline mfslater

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:46:11 AM »
Hi Listmates

Many thanks to David, John, Ralph and Mike for pointing me in the right direction for S160 castings.

I have OCRd LBSC's constructions series (excl. drawings) for this loco and will be happy to make these available shortly to anyone wishing to have a copy. Wartime (1943) proofreading and typesetting were a little suspect and a very few sentences are gibberish. Fraction printing was also not at its best so 3/32" and 5/32" will need careful checking (and I also think that the typesetter got extra money for every comma he could squeeze in!).

Best regards

Martin Sl.